Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aisin Shifting Woes

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Aisin Shifting Woes

I have done a thorough search and haven't seen anything comparable.

Here is my backstory, I bought a used 2016 Ram 3500 CCLB Tradesman DRW Aisin 4.10 axle with 20k miles in March of 17. As soon as I drove it I noticed a "shift flare" at the 3 to 4 shift around 30mph cold. I brought it to the dealer and the mechanic looked it up on computer. He downloaded an updated tune to the computer. It had no effect to the "shift flare".

What I have noticed since then is that this transmission is more oriented towards a heavy truck. They have engineered programming into the computer that defuels before shifts and refuels after shifts making it feel lunky. I have also noticed that this "shift flare'' happens cold but it will also happen is the truck is shut off for as little as 15 minutes. In my mind, I'm thinking that there is something faulty with the valve body or pump not supplying needed pressure or volume until it is operated for longer than 10-15 minutes. On a positive note we made a Sturgis trip last year towing 13-15klbs for close to 4k miles and it performed flawlessly.

I am looking forward to tuning this truck but cannot tune and void warranty without knowing for sure that I won't blowing this thing up. I have an appointment scheduled with the best local transmission guy around. I have about 58k miles on truck now and this is my only concern. Has anyone had a similar problem with their Aisin transmission? It is a AS69RC.

2. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, SyN, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Aisin Shifting Woes

For anyone interested, it appears as though there is/was a recall. The truck was previously reflashed for this recall but it did not “take”? The recall involves a 3-4flare on trucks with the aisin transmission. The local transmission guy said that on previous experience with other problems the truck may have to be reflashed like a total overwrite. I’m off to the dealer later in the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Electrojake liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The trans was reflashed and all is how it should be.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    The trans was reflashed and all is how it should be.

Glad it was a simple reflash to get things back to normal.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Likes SyN liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Glad it was a simple reflash to get things back to normal.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    Yes. This has been an issue with this truck since I bought it. It had this same reflash last year and it didn’t fix it. I am relieved. I’ll give it a couple weeks and then I’ll be looking for upgrades.

9. Thanks Oil Stain thanked for this post
    Likes Oil Stain, Power247, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have the same transmission. Just installed DRD Lite tunes last week. So far no issues with shifts or ECM codes. I have only been driving in town with the 60 HP tune and taking it easy. Looking forward to see what my MPG does and will be doing some towing next month. Did you tune yours yet?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Likes SyN liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I haven’t tuned mine yet. I have to save up some money. My wife won’t be happy if I just order it, LOL. I am very interested in the mileage. Right now I get about 10mpg with my plow in winter, about 12.6mpg daily work routine and a best of about 16mpg on highway. My 14 2500 with 68RFE got about 2mpg better all around.

13. Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

So I just tuned and Deleted my 17 and I noticed it slips a whole lot more during shifts, it’s like it takes it a whole second and a half to shift LOL, I can’t see this being good for the clutch discs , I had an avalanche burn up 3rd gear because of poor OEM tuning, I put a trans tuner on it and it fixed it, I read on another thread that the stealership can do a “Re Learn” on it, however I am definitely going to stop by and verify the recall software has been updated.

Can’t wait till we can actually tune these Aisins

15. Likes SyN liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Turn your hill assist off and it completely removes all the slop from the aisin shifting 100%.

Shifts flawless on my 200hp tune, if going above 2k rpm into 3rd it does shift a bit firm, but other than that everything is completely perfect, can't feel shifts anymore.

17. Likes AK Bob, SyN, Murph liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Great News!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast