Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aisin Shifting Woes

1. Top Of Page | #11

Re: Aisin Shifting Woes

Quote Originally Posted by Pollo6.7 View Post
    Turn your hill assist off and it completely removes all the slop from the aisin shifting 100%.

Shifts flawless on my 200hp tune, if going above 2k rpm into 3rd it does shift a bit firm, but other than that everything is completely perfect, can't feel shifts anymore.
    How do you turn off the hill assist? Do all models have it?

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Every single 6.7 cummins have them enabled from the factory whether its an automatic which is odd or a manual.

What hill assist does is it locks up your rear brakes when your at a stand still thinking your on a hill even when your in the city, making you push the throttle way more than needed giving it that sluggish feeling.

Go to your settings, driving/safety and disable hill assist. You will immediately notice a huge difference with driving, whether its an aisin or a 68RFE.

Shifting into 3rd can still be a bit firm if you go above 2k rpm, but my truck runs insanely good right now way better than my friends 68RFE with a trans tune. Try it out.

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13
    Let's Go BRANDON!!! Patriot MotorSports's Avatar

User Info Menu

I will try turning off the Hill Assist tomorrow but I currently have a really bad flare in 3rd & 4th gear with a 150hp tuned & deleted truck and only 55K miles. Seems like this transmission should have lasted a bit longer as I tow boats for a living and nothing more than 14,000 pounds.

6. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot MotorSports View Post
    I will try turning off the Hill Assist tomorrow but I currently have a really bad flare in 3rd & 4th gear with a 150hp tuned & deleted truck and only 55K miles. Seems like this transmission should have lasted a bit longer as I tow boats for a living and nothing more than 14,000 pounds.
    It is recommended not to exceed the 120HP setting with the Aisin transmission.

I run the 90HP tune and 30HP when towing with no issues with shifting.

I do have the “Hill Assist” turned off.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    It is recommended not to exceed the 120HP setting with the Aisin transmission.

I run the 90HP tune and 30HP when towing with no issues with shifting.

I do have the “Hill Assist” turned off.
    I have the SOTF tuning, and the fueling seemed to be spot-on with no issues in driveability.

I have tried the 50/100hp settings, and the truck gets better MPGs in the 5th spot, which is the 150hp setting; the throttle response is crisp, and there is no "hot-rodding" of the truck or shifting while hauling on the throttle as I always lift my foot to ease the "hit" when pulling a load.

These trucks are great, but I now wish it had a standard 6-spd with a heavy clutch!

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I have the SOTF tuning, and the fueling seemed to be spot-on with no issues in driveability.

I have tried the 50/100hp settings, and the truck gets better MPGs in the 5th spot, which is the 150hp setting; the throttle response is crisp, and there is no "hot-rodding" of the truck or shifting while hauling on the throttle as I always lift my foot to ease the "hit" when pulling a load.

These trucks are great, but I now wish it had a standard 6-spd with a heavy clutch!
    As others on here have related, easing off the throttle is probably the worst thing that you can do with an Aisin.

That said, it’s also been highly recommended by the reputable tuners not to tow in the higher hp tunes.

You lifting off the throttle is probably confusing the trans and scrambling everything it has “learned.”

Please keep us updated on your situation/outcome.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

12. Likes AK Bob, Electrojake liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Agree with @CrazyTrain see attached thread with more information on lifting foot.

Aisin Transmission Slams In Gear After Hard Downshift
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    As others on here have related, easing off the throttle is probably the worst thing that you can do with an Aisin.

That said, it’s also been highly recommended by the reputable tuners not to tow in the higher hp tunes.

You lifting off the throttle is probably confusing the trans and scrambling everything it has “learned.”

Please keep us updated on your situation/outcome.
    Today I turned off the Hill Assist and drove it around town with a much increased shift firmness.

I put about 40 miles on it without hauling anything and ran it through the gears at WOT without any flare.

I also changed the trans filter, added a deep aluminum pan and changed the fluid.

Later this afternoon I had to drive from Florence, SC to Mooresville, NC and back pulling an Aerovault trailer with much better results as I stopped lifting between shifts.

As I was not hauling anything of significant weight, I ran the 100hp tune setting with only a 1mpg drop from the 150hp setting.

15. Thanks CrazyTrain thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, CrazyTrain liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I just wanted to ask if you have had any issues since you deleted your ride.

I currently have an 03 with manual NV5600 and just recently had it in for inspection, which I was told "it won't pass next time," so I am looking to buy a newer truck.

I will delete and tune it since my son just found 2018 with a manual, and he did his using an MM3, and it's unbelievable the power that thing has.

I cannot find a 3500 Laramie with a manual and doubt I will, so my "plan" was to stick with the 2018 3500, and just in case the automatic blows, I will swap it for a manual instead of fixing the auto.

Since that would be my plan, I was curious how many miles you have put on your Aisin since you tuned it and if you've run into any issues.

Thank you.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by go8bud View Post
    I just wanted to ask if you have had any issues since you deleted your ride.

I currently have an 03 with manual NV5600 and just recently had it in for inspection, which I was told "it won't pass next time," so I am looking to buy a newer truck.

I will delete and tune it since my son just found 2018 with a manual, and he did his using an MM3, and it's unbelievable the power that thing has.

I cannot find a 3500 Laramie with a manual and doubt I will, so my "plan" was to stick with the 2018 3500, and just in case the automatic blows, I will swap it for a manual instead of fixing the auto.

Since that would be my plan, I was curious how many miles you have put on your Aisin since you tuned it and if you've run into any issues.

Thank you.
    No issues with my Aisin.

14,000 miles since deleting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast