Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Bus - Truck Possessed- all stock

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

No Bus - Truck Possessed- all stock

Hello Everyone and thanks in advance for any tips or advice. I'll try to keep this as direct as I can but at this point I am a ball of emotion. I want to fully Express this issue is with a bone stock 2012, 3500 CTD that currently has 67452 miles on the clock - NOT the result of tuning but it sounds like a ECU issue so it's posted here.

About 6 months ago I took the truck to the dealer because a few of the lights went out in the gauge cluster. As its still under warranty I paid the 100 bucks and they replaced the cluster. A short time later I unplug the trailer with the truck running (nothing wrong with that- right?) and the truck went completely bonkers. Windows went up, windshield wipers came on, dash lit up like a Christmas tree, all the gauges went to 0 "No Bus" appeared on the EVIC. Back to the dealer we go and was told that I probably needed batteries. A couple hundred dollars later new batteries installed and I'm good to go..... WRONG. Heading home from Home Depot and the poltergeists begins again. Back to the dealer I go on 4/2/2019. The dealer had the truck for 2 weeks. Replaced the cluster 2 more times and the TIPM. On 4/17 I received the call, your truck is ready. GREAT.... WELL not really. I get half way home and there is goes again. "NO BUS". Today I check the codes with the key on-off trick and it revealed a P-0606 code. Humm. So, back to the dealer I go, tomorrow.

Understanding once I tune the warranty is most likely void. However, could tuning possibly fix this? I've been waiting for this to be resolved before I place my order with RAY.

The truck seems to be running normal. Starts fine just the gauges, radio, wipers, windows do what they want when this happens.

Do I tune now or wait???????

Thanks again...

I'll update on the progress.

Cheers,

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: No Bus - Truck Possessed- all stock

I have the bad habit of shutting down the truck when plugging in / out the trailer. Just an old habit. But unless you have all the lights on, I don't see where it woulg cause a problem.

I wouldn't delete or change anything until its running right in the 1st place. If you do, you'll have hell guessing the problem. Maybe someone can be better help for you on this soon. But I'd have the dealer get it right first if still under warrantee.
    @Double R Diesel ... any help ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Hello Everyone and thanks in advance for any tips or advice. I'll try to keep this as direct as I can but at this point I am a ball of emotion. I want to fully Express this issue is with a bone stock 2012, 3500 CTD that currently has 67452 miles on the clock - NOT the result of tuning but it sounds like a ECU issue so it's posted here.

About 6 months ago I took the truck to the dealer because a few of the lights went out in the gauge cluster. As its still under warranty I paid the 100 bucks and they replaced the cluster. A short time later I unplug the trailer with the truck running (nothing wrong with that- right?) and the truck went completely bonkers. Windows went up, windshield wipers came on, dash lit up like a Christmas tree, all the gauges went to 0 "No Bus" appeared on the EVIC. Back to the dealer we go and was told that I probably needed batteries. A couple hundred dollars later new batteries installed and I'm good to go..... WRONG. Heading home from Home Depot and the poltergeists begins again. Back to the dealer I go on 4/2/2019. The dealer had the truck for 2 weeks. Replaced the cluster 2 more times and the TIPM. On 4/17 I received the call, your truck is ready. GREAT.... WELL not really. I get half way home and there is goes again. "NO BUS". Today I check the codes with the key on-off trick and it revealed a P-0606 code. Humm. So, back to the dealer I go, tomorrow.

Understanding once I tune the warranty is most likely void. However, could tuning possibly fix this? I've been waiting for this to be resolved before I place my order with RAY.

The truck seems to be running normal. Starts fine just the gauges, radio, wipers, windows do what they want when this happens.

Do I tune now or wait???????

Thanks again...

I'll update on the progress.

Cheers,
    My honest opinion is the pcm is failing. The P0606 is pretty much confirmation of it. Get your pcm replaced before doing anything else to the truck.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Copy that - back to the dealer today.

Thanks Again

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5, AnOldBiker liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Keep us updated sir! Sorry to hear of all the issues.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Will do. At the end of the day just wish I knew what caused it.

Looks like I got the 1 in 30,000 that was defective.

Thanks for the concern.

Cheers

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I dropped it off this evening. I keep thinking about the P-0606 code I retrieved with the key cycle method.

P-0606 = PCM Failed its self test. One suggestion is:

Retrieves freeze frame data using an OBD-II scanner. Doing this will provide information as to when the code was set by the PCM, as well as what likely caused the code to be stored.

Will the MM3 retrieve freeze fram data? I may just be looking for a reason not to wait to order the MM3 from Ray. I don't have as much faith in the dealer as I should and if this unit will assist me in diagnosis that would be huge! Im not sure if the key trick shows all the codes. Does the MM3 show the "deep" codes? Can I down load the MM3 user manual before making the purchase. Knowledge is power, it would be beneficial to be able to scan the truck before I speak to the dealer again. Thanks for brain storming.

Cheers

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Im not clear on whether you truck has a tune on it or not.

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Dont tune unless your truck is healthy. Make RAM fix it under warranty then drive it a few 100 miles to make sure the problem is resolved. I never had the problem you are describing happen to my truck. 2012 RAM 78k custom tuned at 25k

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Understood,

The truck is stock at this point. I will not be tuning until it's fixed. I just thought the MM3 had certain diagnostic features built in that would assist me in the knowing the truth.

Just thinking of ordering the unit just to be used as a scan tool.

Thanks,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast