Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HE351VE already gone out?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

HE351VE already gone out?

Hello to all, this is a follow up for a thread I posted a couple days ago for my truck making an odd hissing noise. I took the truck to a good local shop, and they said they feel like the noise is coming from the turbo. They're not sure if it's a wastegate or VGT actuator problem, but after dialing the noise in to occurring mostly on gear shifts during normal cruising speeds (mainly at 45MPH) when boost drops ~0.2 pounds before spooling up again it seems to be something with the turbo. I think we all know the stock turbo isn't the best but I have two questions.

Is 18K miles too soon for my turbo to already be having vane/bearing problems? It seems like the noise is happening with a change in drive pressure...

Is this enough reason to pull the trigger on a 2nd gen S400 swap kit and install that in the coming weeks/months?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: HE351VE already gone out?

Quote Originally Posted by skiffer View Post
    Hello to all, this is a follow up for a thread I posted a couple days ago for my truck making an odd hissing noise. I took the truck to a good local shop, and they said they feel like the noise is coming from the turbo. They're not sure if it's a wastegate or VGT actuator problem, but after dialing the noise in to occurring mostly on gear shifts during normal cruising speeds (mainly at 45MPH) when boost drops ~0.2 pounds before spooling up again it seems to be something with the turbo. I think we all know the stock turbo isn't the best but I have two questions.

Is 18K miles too soon for my turbo to already be having vane/bearing problems? It seems like the noise is happening with a change in drive pressure...

Is this enough reason to pull the trigger on a 2nd gen S400 swap kit and install that in the coming weeks/months?
    What year is it?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

@cumminsdieselfreak it's a 2018
    Wow, it's too early IMO for turbo failure but yours may have been built on a Friday LOL. I'd have a dealer check it out and see if a warranty claim is in the cards, if not I'd do a 2nd Gen Swap with a Pac Brake.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Wow, it's too early IMO for turbo failure but yours may have been built on a Friday LOL. I'd have a dealer check it out and see if a warranty claim is in the cards, if not I'd do a 2nd Gen Swap with a Pac Brake.
    Either a Friday or early on a Monday LOL. I don't know if a dealership is even going to touch my truck with it being tuned/deleted though will they? I feel like they'd just say it's due to the work I've done on the truck and send me on my way

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Either a Friday or early on a Monday LOL. I don't know if a dealership is even going to touch my truck with it being tuned/deleted though will they? I feel like they'd just say it's due to the work I've done on the truck and send me on my way
    Worst they can say is no. Then ask them to prove your tuning messed it up(insert evil laugh).

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes skiffer, watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I agree with @cumminsdieselfreak i feel it is too soon but if the truck sees lots of idle times and just city driving it will be more likely. You can always have it cleaned or get the VGT changed but that is a little pricey and the 2nd swap is your best bang for the buck on that one. The cleaning isn't too terrible from what i remember though.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    I agree with @cumminsdieselfreak i feel it is too soon but if the truck sees lots of idle times and just city driving it will be more likely. You can always have it cleaned or get the VGT changed but that is a little pricey and the 2nd swap is your best bang for the buck on that one. The cleaning isn't too terrible from what i remember though.
    The truck is used for mostly driving to and from work (about 20 to 30 min), and probably saw a normal amount of idle time this past winter with me being stationed in NH. I usually have to sit in about 10-20 min of traffic to actually get on and off the base though so maybe that's a lot of "idle" time? I'm not trying to jump to conclusions on anything LOL, but if this is enough reason for me to get a 2nd gen swap I'd rather just go ahead and start looking into buying one now than later if the turbo totally fails

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The truck is used for mostly driving to and from work (about 20 to 30 min), and probably saw a normal amount of idle time this past winter with me being stationed in NH. I usually have to sit in about 10-20 min of traffic to actually get on and off the base though so maybe that's a lot of "idle" time? I'm not trying to jump to conclusions on anything LOL, but if this is enough reason for me to get a 2nd gen swap I'd rather just go ahead and start looking into buying one now than later if the turbo totally fails
    If you never get the chance to really work the truck or the turbo then more then likely it is the culprit. I'll shoot you a message and we can discuss some options for ya.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks skiffer thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Agree on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

16. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak, watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast