Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Power Steering Pump Install

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Power Steering Pump Install

I searched high and low for instructions, on how to install, to no avail. I thought I would share my experience as I went into this blind and spent almost 7 hours when it should have been 2-3. I removed way too much not knowing what I would actually need for clearance. Contributing to the out of warranty people on this forum....

1. Remove passenger side air box. I bought a serpentine belt tool from Advanced Auto. Hook the tool extension (Small bar) into the square 1/2” indent on the tensioner. Then hook the long handle in at a 45 degree angle. Pull the handle and slip the belt off the water pump. Best tip I read as the install is a breeze when your done.

2. Remove the drivers side plastic wheel well entirely. There are 3 push button tabs and the rest is 5/16” screws.

3. Remove the (4) 18mm bolts that hold the sway bar and let it drop out of the way.

4. Remove the 17mm banjo fitting from the high pressure line from the wheel well. Pinch the clamp and remove the hose from the reservoir. Obviously you will need to catch the fluid as it comes out.

5. The pump is sandwiched between two brackets that are mounted to the engine. You will need to loosen an 18mm bolt that is easiest to access from underneath. It holds the black back bracket to the engine.

6. This part is a PITA. You will need to remove the three 13mm bolts from behind the pulley. Keep in mind you will need to add red loctite when you reinstall the new pump.

7. Reverse order to install. Keep in mind the banjo fitting has copper washers that go on each side of the hose fitting.

8. Add ATF-4 fluid to the reservoir after the belt is back on. Put the front end on jack stands and bring the steering wheel lock to lock 15-20 times while pumping the brake pedal intermittently. I have a hydroboost so that needs to be bled by pumping the brake pedal. Keep the reservoir full to the max line while bleeding. Let the truck sit for a couple hours or overnight and then repeat 8-10 times lock to lock while pushing the brake pedal. Start the truck for 3 seconds and then shut off and refill. Drop the vehicle off the stands. Start the engine and bring lock to lock 3 times while pushing the pedal intermittently.

Alternative - I bought the Mityvac Hand pump bleeding kit on Amazon with the power steering pump cone adapter. Turn the pump to vacuum and bleed the system of air. This saves you all the time spent on manual bleeding in step 8. It also is handy for flushing the system. You can remove the top fitting up by the Master cylinder and vacuum out as much fluid as you can.

I hope I didn’t miss anything.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, Abgunnar thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Power Steering Pump Install

Awesome tips! Thanks for posting!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI