Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Unique situation with tachometer

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Unique situation with tachometer

Hopefully this will be allowed here, This is going to be the most knowledgeable and active forum that is related. I am attempting to put a cummins 4bt into a 2001 dodge durango. I want it to be as factory looking and working as possible. Where do the trucks with the 6bt get their tach signal from? im trying to figure out how to get the tack work on my future durango. thanks

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Unique situation with tachometer

Quote Originally Posted by rockyskier View Post
    Hopefully this will be allowed here, This is going to be the most knowledgeable and active forum that is related. I am attempting to put a cummins 4bt into a 2001 dodge durango. I want it to be as factory looking and working as possible. Where do the trucks with the 6bt get their tach signal from? im trying to figure out how to get the tack work on my future durango. thanks

If im not mistaken there are several options for you on this. I have never done this so don't quote me LOL but it may help in your research.

Mechanical tach driven off the injection pump nut.

Alternator

I think dakota digital is a company that helps with this as well im not sure.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank you. I was aware of the alternator way. but not the others. I should have asked a more specific question too. Im pretty good with electronics, as long as its simple voltage signals. My 01 durango has a lot PCI bus things. Im guessing that changes things into a frequency signal? What kind of signal does it take to run a a tach?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    If im not mistaken there are several options for you on this. I have never done this so don't quote me LOL but it may help in your research.

Mechanical tach driven off the injection pump nut.

Alternator

I think dakota digital is a company that helps with this as well im not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyskier View Post
    Thank you. I was aware of the alternator way. but not the others. I should have asked a more specific question too. Im pretty good with electronics, as long as its simple voltage signals. My 01 durango has a lot PCI bus things. Im guessing that changes things into a frequency signal? What kind of signal does it take to run a a tach?
    You could see if or maybe scrounge up a crank sensor bracket. There are tach probes you can install. Like this

https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Digit...s%2C152&sr=8-3

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC