Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Parking brake question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Parking brake question

Hey guys I have a question about the parking brake. I have a 13 2500 first dodge/ram and bought used. I recently move into a house that has a inclined driveway so my truck is parked sloped usually backed up. So when I put it into drive it’s usually hard to get out of park and does a clunky noise. I always put in park with park brake on. The other day I put in neutral and set the park brake and it rolled no problem like the p brake isn’t doing anything. So my question is, first is my park brake out of adjustment allowing the truck to do a little roll creating it to kinda be difficult to shift out of park? Or is this normal and the weight of the so much the park brake has no stopping affect? Thanks any input appreciated!

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Parking brake question

Anytime you park on a slope/hill use the parking brake. Use the parking brake before you take out of gear then put it park.

Now to answer your question. The parking brake should hold the vehicle. Is the parking brake pedal going to the floor? If not, then push the parking brake more tolds the floor. If pedal is going to the floor now, then it needs to be adjusted.

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I park on an inclined driveway and everyday I set the parking brake in in neutral and let off the brake and the truck stays, then I shift into park. The parking brake should hold your truck. You need to adjust or push harder.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I am in the same situation with my sloped driveway. I parked backed in as well so I set the parking brake while still in reverse gear then move to neutral then to park.

I echo what the other guys said.... The parking brake should hold your truck when parked on an incline. I'm sure the trans can hold it fine without the brake on, it just doesn't seem good to put that much pressure on it day after day.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

I used to be a bit lazy where setting the parking brake was concerned. Back when I lived in a house where the driveway slipped toward the house, I just tapcon’d a couple of big home made rubber and wood wheel chocks to the concrete out front. When I got home, I’d just roll up against them, put it in park and be done with it.

Nowadays I’m still retraining myself to set the parking break every time. Old habits...

Current: 2015 3500 Longhorn CC LB DRW 4x4 CTD AISIN 4.10, Brilliant Black Crystal (PXR) with White Gold Metallic (PWL)
    First: 2000 2500 White (bought new, had long enough to replace VP44 2 times, 400K+ miles)
    Personal Info: Full carnivore since June 2014, and healthier than EVER (literally only meat/animal products...I don't eat my food's food)

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

All these things said are good. If the pedal is going down 3/4 of the way to the floor, it is correct. You are going to really have to stand on it. If it's still not holding, then it would be best to inspect the linings and the surface inside the rotor. Remember, you bought it used.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post