Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Baffle Removal (Dyno Numbers)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Intake Baffle Removal (Dyno Numbers)

Hello everyone,
    This week I took my stock 2018 Ram 2500 for some new wheels and tires and I wanted to get some Hp numbers when I did it. So I took it to a local shop that runs a DynoJet brand dyno. I will start a new thread in the "Tires & Wheels" section on those results.

Again the tuck is all stock and I intend to keep the emissions intact, however, I thought taking the Intake Baffle out and running it would be interesting and that's what we did.

Below are "My" results:

Run 3: Stock with Baffle
    Run 4: No Baffle

You will notice that there is a 5Hp decrease without the baffle. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that as a pro or a con it's just too small a measurement to be reliable IMO. Meaning we could run it again a few minutes later and it could easily have shown an increase in power.

Noise Level:
    If you "Listen" (radio off, A/C off, no talking) you can hear a slight whistle that reminds me of the same noise you get if you install a radio and amp in your car and hear the alternator feedback through the speakers.

"Normal" driving (radio on, A/C on, talking) you would never hear it.

To me, this is a mod where it may be a gain on the open road at 75-80mph but just normal around town I doubt it makes a difference one way or the other.

I hope this helps someone.
    Michael

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Intake Baffle Removal (Dyno Numbers)

Sounds about right. The baffle helps with turbulence

3. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Interesting- I pulled the foam on mine

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Likes watersupply189, 17cummings liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Airaid jr works well if you want to hear the turbo more

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCox View Post
    Hello everyone,
    This week I took my stock 2018 Ram 2500 for some new wheels and tires and I wanted to get some Hp numbers when I did it. So I took it to a local shop that runs a DynoJet brand dyno. I will start a new thread in the "Tires & Wheels" section on those results.

Again the tuck is all stock and I intend to keep the emissions intact, however, I thought taking the Intake Baffle out and running it would be interesting and that's what we did.

Below are "My" results:

Run 3: Stock with Baffle
    Run 4: No Baffle

You will notice that there is a 5Hp decrease without the baffle. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that as a pro or a con it's just too small a measurement to be reliable IMO. Meaning we could run it again a few minutes later and it could easily have shown an increase in power.

Noise Level:
    If you "Listen" (radio off, A/C off, no talking) you can hear a slight whistle that reminds me of the same noise you get if you install a radio and amp in your car and hear the alternator feedback through the speakers.

"Normal" driving (radio on, A/C on, talking) you would never hear it.

To me, this is a mod where it may be a gain on the open road at 75-80mph but just normal around town I doubt it makes a difference one way or the other.

I hope this helps someone.
    Michael
    This is super cool! Like RamHunter has stated, it is meant to help with turbulence. Alot of people pull it to keep the foam from entering the turbo if it were to deteriorate.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I've worked any many with over 300k and have yet to see any signs of the foam breaking down.

11. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    I've worked any many with over 300k and have yet to see any signs of the foam breaking down.
    That's definitely good to know. i have never seen one personally break down myself either. I think it's the thought of it potentially breaking down causes the removal.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Agreed. It seems like your more likey to have the actuator and the tubro go out first tho..LOL

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member canandaiguacummins's Avatar

User Info Menu

I removed the intake baffle from my 2015 Cummins about a year ago and 10 month later, the turbo actuator failed and had to be replaced at the dealership. It was covered under the extended warranty, but the service adviser told me that the cost would have been over $3,000. Does anyone think that the turbo actuator failed directly because of the absence of the intake baffle for 10 months?

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

My actuator failed as well after about a year of having the baffle removed for fear of foam in the turbo.

Tech said the actuators can fail randomly, but usually it’s because of rigs like mine that get typically driven short trips and easy on the throttle and nothing to do with the baffle not being there.

19. Thanks 12W3500 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast