Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VGT Going Crazy

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

VGT Going Crazy

For the last couple of months I’ve noticed my 2016 fully deleted DRD tuned w/MM3 truck surging badly at anything but nearly full throttle. After watching the position of my turbo blades % on my monitor it seems as if at light throttle they will not hold position and fluctuate wildly.

Some days there is no surge, trucks runs smooth and has plenty of power. Other days it sounds like it has a big cam and the surging comes through like I’m pumping the accelerator.

My truck only has 60,000 miles, I’ve never let my egt’s reach over 1,200°, run my exhaust brake 90% of the time and don’t shut down until egt is less than 400°.

I’ve googled the crap out of this subject and no one seems to have a definitive answer. I would attach a video if I knew how.

Hoping someone has figured this out, if so HELP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: VGT Going Crazy

Did you ask @Double R Diesel?

Join as a Lifetime Platinum Member Today

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Thanks Mongoose, cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I emailed Ray a couple months ago when it started, I hadn’t narrowed it down to the VGT yet though.

Here’s a video.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

What did Ray say it was?

Join as a Lifetime Platinum Member Today

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

He thought it might be an actuator or sensor. Honestly after he emailed me back the problem pretty much went away. A week or two ago it’s come back with a vengeance.

My thoughts in posting this was that someone had ta similar experience and there was some silver bullet, free cure! A guy can dream can’t he!

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    For the last couple of months I’ve noticed my 2016 fully deleted DRD tuned w/MM3 truck surging badly at anything but nearly full throttle. After watching the position of my turbo blades % on my monitor it seems as if at light throttle they will not hold position and fluctuate wildly.

Some days there is no surge, trucks runs smooth and has plenty of power. Other days it sounds like it has a big cam and the surging comes through like I’m pumping the accelerator.

My truck only has 60,000 miles, I’ve never let my egt’s reach over 1,200°, run my exhaust brake 90% of the time and don’t shut down until egt is less than 400°.

I’ve googled the crap out of this subject and no one seems to have a definitive answer. I would attach a video if I knew how.

Hoping someone has figured this out, if so HELP!

That's one of three things...

Bad turbo actuator

Faulty exhaust back pressure sensor

Short circuit on wiring harness that connects to exhaust back pressure sensor. (This is very common when the egr has been removed and the wiring harness for the exhaust pressure sensor is left hanging in a bad place.)

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response Ray, the interment nature confuses me. For a month or so I never noticed it and even now sometimes after driving a while, shutting my truck off and starting it back up—it’s gone for a while.

Does anyone one know how to check these 3 things? I have zero codes.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Did you check the wiring for the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor for chaffing? If that is what is causing the problem it would be very intermittent. Sometimes the bare wire is grounding out and sometimes it isn't as the truck is bounced around.

That is going to be the easiest thing to check.

12. Thanks Mongoose thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Also check the wiring to the VGT solenoid and unplug it and make sure the plug looks nice and clean and dry. They way its varying so wildly looks like the PCM doesn't even know what the VGT position is. Could easily be a wiring or bad connection problem.

14. Thanks Mongoose thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yesterday I removed the exhaust back pressure sensor and tube. Cleaned the sensor and blew out the tube. Knock on wood, she’s running smooth now!

16. Thanks Yamahamod thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast