Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Interior Leak

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Interior Leak

On occasion, if the truck is sitting and a really hard rain comes down, i'll have a pretty significant leak that runs out from under the headliner in the corner on the rear driver's side. It's happened a few times in the past, and it seems like the conditions have to be just right.

Obvious culprit is the 3rd brake light. I removed it (the screws were not in very tight to begin with) and there was a good bit of water both indside the light and behind it. Also there was dirt/grime on the gasket and around where the gasket meets the truck (also the center bulb was popped and had signs of previous water damage).

I'm going to buy some of that gasket material i've seen on some forums to fix it. but here's my question...
    Is it possible that the leak could be coming from somewhere else? Has anyone had the seam/seal along the roof leak? I ask this because it was odd that the water was only coming in from the driver's side back there. There was no water whatsoever coming down the rear window itself under the brake light (or anywhere else for that matter). I suppose it was due to some body metalwork channeling the water to the side?
    I subscribe to the idea that the most obvious solution is usually the correct solution. And i will test for leaks after i replace the gasket to make sure. My fingers are crossed though, that's the only leak. because replacing that seam could be a PITA and/or costly.

'13 crew cab etc.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Interior Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    On occasion, if the truck is sitting and a really hard rain comes down, i'll have a pretty significant leak that runs out from under the headliner in the corner on the rear driver's side. It's happened a few times in the past, and it seems like the conditions have to be just right.

Obvious culprit is the 3rd brake light. I removed it (the screws were not in very tight to begin with) and there was a good bit of water both indside the light and behind it. Also there was dirt/grime on the gasket and around where the gasket meets the truck (also the center bulb was popped and had signs of previous water damage).

I'm going to buy some of that gasket material i've seen on some forums to fix it. but here's my question...
    Is it possible that the leak could be coming from somewhere else? Has anyone had the seam/seal along the roof leak? I ask this because it was odd that the water was only coming in from the driver's side back there. There was no water whatsoever coming down the rear window itself under the brake light (or anywhere else for that matter). I suppose it was due to some body metalwork channeling the water to the side?
    I subscribe to the idea that the most obvious solution is usually the correct solution. And i will test for leaks after i replace the gasket to make sure. My fingers are crossed though, that's the only leak. because replacing that seam could be a PITA and/or costly.

'13 crew cab etc.
    I had the same problem with my third brake light. Dealership replaced the whole light and it came with a thicker gasket around it compared to my old one. No leaks so far.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I had the same thing going on...... It was the brake light over the rear window. WaterSupply got lucky, Dealer told me it wasn't covered under the warranty so i popped it out (only held in with 2 screws) and applied clear silicone lightly around the lens. No more leak. More than likely this is your source.

Cheers,

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I've had the 3rd break light leak on both my 4th gens ('09 1500 and '12 2500). Both were fixed at the dealership under warranty. The '09 also had an issue with the roof seal on the driver's side that was also repaired under warranty.

Based on what you found I'd say it's the 3rd break light but if you find water after you seal it up checking the roof seams would be next on the list.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I had water coming in behind the back seat on my 3rd gen, thought it was the brake light but after I removed it and redid the gasketing it still leaked. Turned out it was the drains for the sunroof that were clogged and the water backed up and leaked out onto the top of the headliner, it then ran down the back wall the under the back seat. Apparently sun roofs leak, there are channels that catch the water and drain it out through the back of the cab. If you don't have a sunroof it is probably the third brake light, this is pretty common.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So common I hear there’s a class action against Dodge for just that very problem, from decades ago. I have to leave my floor pan plugs out in mine, so it flows out, stupidest design I’ve ever seen.

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Had the 3rd brake light leak on my 12.

Very common problem.

Get a new light from the dealer with a thicker gasket.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

13. Thanks Tonyheavychevy thanked for this post