Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Do I need to Retune?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Do I need to Retune?

Hey guys.

I drive a 2011 6.7 3500 deleted with 120k miles.

I am in the process of putting on a new turbo (s300 conversion) and close to the stock as I could get while losing the VGT.

I have an H&S mini maxx that has a broken screen and I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a new tuner or if I am good to go.

Im hoping but not counting on the fact that it may be set up for the possibility of losing the VGT.

Can anyone tell me if I risk destroying the truck if I drive without a retune immediately? And if so what is a good reasonably priced tuner I can go with?

Thank you for any help.

-Nate

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Do I need to Retune?

Quote Originally Posted by Natebrody11 View Post
    Hey guys.

I drive a 2011 6.7 3500 deleted with 120k miles.

I am in the process of putting on a new turbo (s300 conversion) and close to the stock as I could get while losing the VGT.

I have an H&S mini maxx that has a broken screen and I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a new tuner or if I am good to go.

Im hoping but not counting on the fact that it may be set up for the possibility of losing the VGT.

Can anyone tell me if I risk destroying the truck if I drive without a retune immediately? And if so what is a good reasonably priced tuner I can go with?

Thank you for any help.

-Nate
    My understanding is a mini maxx is not custom tuning but a box tuner. If this is the case you will be fine but may notice a difference in smoke if the new charger is a bit bigger and has the fixed turbine. Keep an eye on EGTs if you have a gauge for that. Best tuning for the money is DRD. Is it the cheapest? No- it will cost a bit more out of the gate but save you in the long run as you will have a clean running truck which will save money on fuel and other parts from being over stressed

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    My understanding is a mini maxx is not custom tuning but a box tuner. If this is the case you will be fine but may notice a difference in smoke if the new charger is a bit bigger and has the fixed turbine. Keep an eye on EGTs if you have a gauge for that. Best tuning for the money is DRD. Is it the cheapest? No- it will cost a bit more out of the gate but save you in the long run as you will have a clean running truck which will save money on fuel and other parts from being over stressed
    Thanks for the reply TexNeck. It definitely feels a lot different and I parked it as soon as I got it home until I figured out if/what tunes i needed. I actually just ordered EFI Live with an edge insight screen through Anarchy in hopes to keep the truck safe and reliable.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply TexNeck. It definitely feels a lot different and I parked it as soon as I got it home until I figured out if/what tunes i needed. I actually just ordered EFI Live with an edge insight screen through Anarchy in hopes to keep the truck safe and reliable.
    Anarchy is a well known name so hopefully they will get it dialed in to your liking.

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #5

Anarchy is a well known name so hopefully they will get it dialed in to your liking.
    That's what I'm hoping for too, tuning and stuff alike freaks me out.

Do you know anything about transmissions relearns?

I read that with these newer trucks the TCM and possibly PCM? Are one and adjusts when you do tuning. I've also read things that contradict?

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

That's what I'm hoping for too, tuning and stuff alike freaks me out.

Do you know anything about transmissions relearns?

I read that with these newer trucks the TCM and possibly PCM? Are one and adjusts when you do tuning. I've also read things that contradict?
    With MM3 warp tuning and auto 68RFE transmission tuning there is a relearn/break in for about 150-200 miles per tune. Basically take it easy as the trans is learning when it needs to shift and lock the converter. It may feel a bit sloppy but after some mileage it will remember the patterns and should feel crip/firm

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #7

With MM3 warp tuning and auto 68RFE transmission tuning there is a relearn/break in for about 150-200 miles per tune. Basically take it easy as the trans is learning when it needs to shift and lock the converter. It may feel a bit sloppy but after some mileage it will remember the patterns and should feel crip/firm
    So I wouldnt have to take it to a trans shop to do a relearn? Does it do it on its own? I do have a 68RFE just figure I want to make sure.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

So I wouldnt have to take it to a trans shop to do a relearn? Does it do it on its own? I do have a 68RFE just figure I want to make sure.
    You should not have to. Starscan tool does have the ability to speed up the learn I believe but it’s not needed

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #9

You should not have to. Starscan tool does have the ability to speed up the learn I believe but it’s not needed
    Thanks again as usual TexNeck, you're a huge help.

11. Thanks TexNeck, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post