Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taping manifold

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Taping manifold

Does any one have advice on taping the manifold I plan on putting my pyrometer in today?

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Taping manifold

Quote Originally Posted by Abgunnar View Post
    Does any one have advice on taping the manifold I plan on putting my pyrometer in today?
    How do you plan on doing it bud? There are lots of different methods for sure but as long as you do your best to get as much shavings out as possible you should be fine. I have done some while running and not running.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes david3gen, Abgunnar liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Some use grease on the bit to catch shavings, some leave it running to blow the shavings out. Check out YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Likes Abgunnar liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yes sir grease is a good one as well. Also if you have a shop vac you can place it over the hole with a small attachment and suck out alot as well. A small pen magnet helped me out alot as well.

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes Abgunnar liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

My plan is to start Thoth small bit and work my way up, and use a vacuum to suck shavings up, the truck is a 2014 do you guys know if the manifold is split we’re it goes to the turbo do I need to stay to one side?

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes sir it is divided if im not mistaken. Stay to one side.

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If you do it while running the engine, do it outside.

Have someone with you, they can comment if your not angled straight into the manifold.

Even if outside, have a bright light on it so no shading for sight.

At minimum, the 1st bit about 1/2 size of the final hole size.

SHARP BITS ONLY.

Most times best place is where the manifold goes to the turbo.

Shop vac while drilling is a good move.

Look manifold over good before drilling, to make sure if in the manifold wall and not where there is an internal support. (don't know how to say it better, but there are manufactured internal thicker portion on some that would put your bit/sensor in more metal and not the cavity of the manifold).

Or go through the hassle of removing the manifold and doing it on the bench.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes Power247, david3gen, Abgunnar liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Good quality tap is your friend. Department store or harbor freight may not make the grade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

14. Likes AnOldBiker, RamHunter18, Abgunnar liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Stay to the back side. Use the correct dill bit for the tap and drill the hole one and done. Dip it in a pile of grease first and the wipe it off and regrease a few times until your through. The same this with the tap, lots of grease and dont run the tap all the way in as it will be a taper fit and you can make the hole to big. Once drilled and tapped vaccum the area and put a magnet in the hole and move it around to make sure you get all the shaving you can. Good luck and dont sweat it. Its a piece of cake to do.

16. Likes Abgunnar, Cumminstrokethis liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I drilled a pilot bit and then the actual size and just vacuumed while I was drilling and when I taped I put sum wd40 on the tap and taped it all worked out, the manifold at the collector is thicker then I thought it would be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast