Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCox View Post
Hello everyone,
I have a 2018 2500 4wd with 8K miles that I intend to do heavy towing within the 15K-20K lb range. I am wanting to put the MM3 EGRless box on it and when I spoke with Double R Diesel and they made a comment about only using the 30hp tune when towing or I would rip the stock tranny out of it.

So in doing some reading on here, I saw where Ray told someone to use an ultra-low stall converter and a valve body from RevMax in fairness he wasn't talking about towing but I started looking at RevMax and ATS.

I called RevMax and spoke with Josh about upgrading my stock system and it seems I have two options:

1. Get a Stage 5 converter with either a low or ultra-low stall, flex plate, valve body, metal filter screw, and a thermostat bypass block for $2,500 add the direct-oiling input shaft making it $3,400.

2. Get the series 550 with thermostat bypass, flexplate, stage 5 converter, and direct-oiling input shaft for $7,300

Just FYI:
I don't want to frivolously spend money and I'm not looking to rotate the earth with power. I'm fine with running a 60-100hp tune and leaving the emissions alone. I just want to be able to unlock some of the power the truck has but at the same time keep it reliable and use the power I would be paying for.

Lastly, I will be running 305/55/20 which is the same 33.2in diameter as the stock 275/70/18 that came with the truck.

I appreciate any and all help.

Michael

It's a good thing that you are aware of what needs to be done. So many others get caught off guard. That right foot is what is going to help you save your trans. Like stated you can tow on a 30hp tune but still i would not be hot rodding it with a load. Respect the tunes.

Upgrading the trans parts is definitely something that is worth while. You will feel a huge difference especially with Mr. Ray's trans tuning he has perfected. It sounds like from your needs you can get away with just upgrading parts and can save the extra money on the cost of the trans. If you start playing hard though like so many of us do once we get Ray's tuning you may want to reconsider a full 550 transmission LOL.

I recommend revmax over ats. Although ats is great, i have a more personal relationship with revmax and the amount of help that those guys are is top notch.