Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE? Mod the Stock or New Transmission

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE? Mod the Stock or New Transmission

Hello everyone,
    I have a 2018 2500 4wd with 8K miles that I intend to do heavy towing within the 15K-20K lb range. I am wanting to put the MM3 EGRless box on it and when I spoke with Double R Diesel and they made a comment about only using the 30hp tune when towing or I would rip the stock tranny out of it.

So in doing some reading on here, I saw where Ray told someone to use an ultra-low stall converter and a valve body from RevMax in fairness he wasn't talking about towing but I started looking at RevMax and ATS.

I called RevMax and spoke with Josh about upgrading my stock system and it seems I have two options:

1. Get a Stage 5 converter with either a low or ultra-low stall, flex plate, valve body, metal filter screw, and a thermostat bypass block for $2,500 add the direct-oiling input shaft making it $3,400.

2. Get the series 550 with thermostat bypass, flexplate, stage 5 converter, and direct-oiling input shaft for $7,300

Just FYI:
    I don't want to frivolously spend money and I'm not looking to rotate the earth with power. I'm fine with running a 60-100hp tune and leaving the emissions alone. I just want to be able to unlock some of the power the truck has but at the same time keep it reliable and use the power I would be paying for.

Lastly, I will be running 305/55/20 which is the same 33.2in diameter as the stock 275/70/18 that came with the truck.

I appreciate any and all help.

Michael

2. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE? Mod the Stock or New Transmission

If you don't run over a 120HP tune a stock trans will be fine, but RevMax does make it all better!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks MichaelCox thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank you for the fast reply. Do you believe that to be true even if I'm pulling 20K lbs, which is a little over the trucks rated max? That's awesome if I don't have to put the extra cash out but I'm thinking of doing the upgrades just in case.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCox View Post
    Thank you for the fast reply. Do you believe that to be true even if I'm pulling 20K lbs, which is a little over the trucks rated max? That's awesome if I don't have to put the extra cash out but I'm thinking of doing the upgrades just in case.
    Always tow in 30HP for that load and you'll be fine.

Join as a Lifetime Platinum Member Today

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    Always tow in 30HP for that load and you'll be fine.

And there is the rub! I'd like to plug in 60 or 100hp and use that for everything that's why I was thinking I would upgrade the parts. Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade...

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

And there is the rub! I'd like to plug in 60 or 100hp and use that for everything that's why I was thinking I would upgrade the parts. Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade...
    Yep!

Going to have to pay to play friend.

10. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Rapidfire_70, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Drive smart and monitor temps and stay in the proper gear and you'll be fine

12. Thanks MichaelCox thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    Drive smart and monitor temps and stay in the proper gear and you'll be fine
    Thank you for the reply RamHunter!

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Reach out to a few other tuners and get other opinions too

15. Thanks MichaelCox thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,
    I have a 2018 2500 4wd with 8K miles that I intend to do heavy towing within the 15K-20K lb range. I am wanting to put the MM3 EGRless box on it and when I spoke with Double R Diesel and they made a comment about only using the 30hp tune when towing or I would rip the stock tranny out of it.

So in doing some reading on here, I saw where Ray told someone to use an ultra-low stall converter and a valve body from RevMax in fairness he wasn't talking about towing but I started looking at RevMax and ATS.

I called RevMax and spoke with Josh about upgrading my stock system and it seems I have two options:

1. Get a Stage 5 converter with either a low or ultra-low stall, flex plate, valve body, metal filter screw, and a thermostat bypass block for $2,500 add the direct-oiling input shaft making it $3,400.

2. Get the series 550 with thermostat bypass, flexplate, stage 5 converter, and direct-oiling input shaft for $7,300

Just FYI:
    I don't want to frivolously spend money and I'm not looking to rotate the earth with power. I'm fine with running a 60-100hp tune and leaving the emissions alone. I just want to be able to unlock some of the power the truck has but at the same time keep it reliable and use the power I would be paying for.

Lastly, I will be running 305/55/20 which is the same 33.2in diameter as the stock 275/70/18 that came with the truck.

I appreciate any and all help.

Michael
    I have not done this but there are guys who have and Ray is a fan from what I have gathered which is the BD valve body plate. This is an affordable piece ($200 or so) which replaces the stock plate on the valve body. This allows Ray to increase line pressure from 170ish to 220-230 ish. More pressure = more holding power for the clutches.

If it were my build I would probably roll the dice with doing this mod then a deep trans pan with plug and drive smart and start to save for a RevMax down the road. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can install the plate and put the new pan on so this is a VERY affordable way to go.

I'd recommend using the transmission PID on the MM3 that tells you when you are locked and unlocked as well. Once you are locked you will be able to get after it a bit more than if you are unlocked or about to be. For the PID 8 is unlocked, 4 is semi, and 2 is locked

Hit up Clayton with Dudes Diesel for the BD kit - he will hook you up as a member!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Thanks MichaelCox thanked for this post
    Likes RamHunter18, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast