Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: EVIC and gauge backlight staying lit up, draining battery

1. Top Of Page | #1

Post EVIC and gauge backlight staying lit up, draining battery

Howdy all. I just wanted to get this one on the record here to log the info in case others happen to encounter something similar. I had a problem with the battery being drained flat. A few weeks back I had some repeat instances of dead battery in the morning. I was certain I hadn't left anything on, but come out to find one night about 2 hours after I got home, and it was now dark, that the backlight was still on on the EVIC and the gauges were still lit.

It isn't really visible during the day. Which is why I hadn't noticed it before. I'd seen in several places that this was mentioned that the BCM can stay away while certain messages are continuing to occur on the canbus.

So I tried pulling what is the normal ICC fuse at F70-something and that didn't have any effect, and there was one other fuse under there related to the instrument cluster F49. Pulled that and sure enough that was what allowed the lights to go out. Well also killed steering wheel controls while vehicle is running.

But something stuck in my head about the fact that F49 was ICC/Heat and so logically I thought perhaps something to do with a bad actuator not closing and thus not letting a system do its thing and shutdown. Well I was wrong but it lead me to disconnect the heating control module. With that module disconnected, the evil and gauge lighting shuts down like it should after like 15-20 seconds after locking the truck.

To get to it, you just open your lower glove box and you'll see it directly to the right, in there mounted on the metal frame of the dash, with a 12 or so pin connector plugged right in the middle of it. If I put the F49 fuse back in, but unplugged that module, everything operated as normal minus heat, vent, and fan controls. No more battery drain.

A quick lookup on one of those Mopar parts websites, and $95 + 3 days later and the new part was installed, and all is back to normal.

I will say one thing, when looking those parts up, make sure you follow the list of superceded part numbers to the latest item. This unit had like 5 parts in the trail for me to get to the latest version (68366553AA)

Hope that helps someone who ends up with their EVIC backlight staying on and killing their battery.

Current: 2015 3500 Longhorn CC LB DRW 4x4 CTD AISIN 4.10, Brilliant Black Crystal (PXR) with White Gold Metallic (PWL)
    First: 2000 2500 White (bought new, had long enough to replace VP44 2 times, 400K+ miles)
    Personal Info: Full carnivore since June 2014, and healthier than EVER (literally only meat/animal products...I don't eat my food's food)

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EVIC and gauge backlight staying lit up, draining battery

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Howdy all. I just wanted to get this one on the record here to log the info in case others happen to encounter something similar. I had a problem with the battery being drained flat. A few weeks back I had some repeat instances of dead battery in the morning. I was certain I hadn't left anything on, but come out to find one night about 2 hours after I got home, and it was now dark, that the backlight was still on on the EVIC and the gauges were still lit.

It isn't really visible during the day. Which is why I hadn't noticed it before. I'd seen in several places that this was mentioned that the BCM can stay away while certain messages are continuing to occur on the canbus.

So I tried pulling what is the normal ICC fuse at F70-something and that didn't have any effect, and there was one other fuse under there related to the instrument cluster F49. Pulled that and sure enough that was what allowed the lights to go out. Well also killed steering wheel controls while vehicle is running.

But something stuck in my head about the fact that F49 was ICC/Heat and so logically I thought perhaps something to do with a bad actuator not closing and thus not letting a system do its thing and shutdown. Well I was wrong but it lead me to disconnect the heating control module. With that module disconnected, the evil and gauge lighting shuts down like it should after like 15-20 seconds after locking the truck.

To get to it, you just open your lower glove box and you'll see it directly to the right, in there mounted on the metal frame of the dash, with a 12 or so pin connector plugged right in the middle of it. If I put the F49 fuse back in, but unplugged that module, everything operated as normal minus heat, vent, and fan controls. No more battery drain.

A quick lookup on one of those Mopar parts websites, and $95 + 3 days later and the new part was installed, and all is back to normal.

I will say one thing, when looking those parts up, make sure you follow the list of superceded part numbers to the latest item. This unit had like 5 parts in the trail for me to get to the latest version (68366553AA)

Hope that helps someone who ends up with their EVIC backlight staying on and killing their battery.
    This is awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to share. This will most definitely help alot of folks out.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Its people like you figuring out these pain in the *&% problems, the find and fix write up has helped so many others in the pass ... plus future.

Great write up

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Great tip!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Great writeup! Thanks

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Nice job

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post

Thank you!

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu