Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Power steering pump problems

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Power steering pump problems

I’ve recently changed out my steering gear box and the power steering pump and the installation and bleeding of the system went great, the problem appeared about 2 days after the install was done and the power steering pump started to whine when trying to turn and I can’t turn the wheels when stopped just idling, it has to be moving. It makes less noise with higher rpm if the truck is moving. I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction to get this solved.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Power steering pump problems

Quote Originally Posted by 2007Cummins5.9 View Post
    I’ve recently changed out my steering gear box and the power steering pump and the installation and bleeding of the system went great, the problem appeared about 2 days after the install was done and the power steering pump started to whine when trying to turn and I can’t turn the wheels when stopped just idling, it has to be moving. It makes less noise with higher rpm if the truck is moving. I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction to get this solved.
    Thanks

Did you put a rebuilt or new gear box and pump? Is the fluid foaming in the reservoir?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The pump was new and the steering box was a reman. After I got everything changed I put it on some jack stands and turned the wheel back and forth while keeping fluid in the reservoir and it got foamy a couple times but I let it sit for a while and repeated the process until the fluid didn’t get foamy or go down any more. Then took it for a test drive and it was smooth and quiet then after a couple days it started to whine and got impossible to turn the wheels while stopped.

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The pump was new and the steering box was a reman. After I got everything changed I put it on some jack stands and turned the wheel back and forth while keeping fluid in the reservoir and it got foamy a couple times but I let it sit for a while and repeated the process until the fluid didn’t get foamy or go down any more. Then took it for a test drive and it was smooth and quiet then after a couple days it started to whine and got impossible to turn the wheels while stopped.

You might have a hose that could of collapsed on the inside restricting the flow. That happened to me on my 98 12v after I replaced the pump and gear box. Gear box had a small pin hole sucking air causing it to foam like crazy. The next day mine did just like yours and I replaced the hoses and all was good. Not saying that’s what’s wrong on your end but doesn’t hurt to replace them.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

7. Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

That could be the case, it’s definitely possible after 11 years. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

That could be the case, it’s definitely possible after 11 years. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

Keep us posted on what you find out friend.

11. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Sounds good, I’ll definitely post an update once I get those hoses changed out

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well I don’t have much of anything to update, I’ve been pretty sick the last week but I did manage to get the high pressure lines changed before I couldn’t do anymore and because it’s my only vehicle I had to bleed it and drive it home and the problem still exists.
    I’ll post another update as soon as I get back on my feet.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well guys, I finally have an update for you on my power steering problem I’ve been having. Yesterday I was able to finally get to work on it and I removed all the low pressure/return lines, power steering cooler and blew them out with air and nothing seemed clogged so I moved on to the reservoir and removed that and flushed it out to make sure the screen in there was clean and nothing came out of that so I changed the pump again, filled everything back up and when through the process of bleeding the system for the third time and everything is working great. I had gotten a bad pump and that had caused all my problems.
    I guess what I learned here was that just because it’s a new part doesn’t mean that it can’t be bad right out of the box.
    I appreciate all the help and suggestions, thanks guys.

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Well guys, I finally have an update for you on my power steering problem I’ve been having. Yesterday I was able to finally get to work on it and I removed all the low pressure/return lines, power steering cooler and blew them out with air and nothing seemed clogged so I moved on to the reservoir and removed that and flushed it out to make sure the screen in there was clean and nothing came out of that so I changed the pump again, filled everything back up and when through the process of bleeding the system for the third time and everything is working great. I had gotten a bad pump and that had caused all my problems.
    I guess what I learned here was that just because it’s a new part doesn’t mean that it can’t be bad right out of the box.
    I appreciate all the help and suggestions, thanks guys.

Awesome man! Glad you got it fixed and back on the road