Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DONALDSON BLUE DBL 7349 OIL FILTER

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DONALDSON BLUE DBL 7349 OIL FILTER

So thoughts on this filter? Yes it filters to a smaller micron. I have about 8k miles on my truck and will be changing oil before summer trips.

I can get these for 10$.

Anyone using these?

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DONALDSON BLUE DBL 7349 OIL FILTER

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    So thoughts on this filter? Yes it filters to a smaller micron. I have about 8k miles on my truck and will be changing oil before summer trips.

I can get these for 10$.

Anyone using these?
    I put one on my truck last oil change. Aint blew up yet so ill take it. I think ive got like 7000 miles so far. I like the price and micron rating.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

3. Thanks Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Been using the Blues since they came out, besides not liking the shade of blue, I'm staying with them.

Also used them when I ran short on my bypass filters.

Price is good.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

One of the highest quality filters a very **** 6.7L owner could use!
    This rascal is identical to the Amsoil EAO80 filter.

Along with the Fleetguard ES LF9028 - a bit pricey so best left in service for 2 OCI's.
    Which I don't think the 6.7L cummins is a proper application for the ES - I think it was designed for a Kuboto Tractor motor...

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    One of the highest quality filters a very **** 6.7L owner could use!
    This rascal is identical to the Amsoil EAO80 filter.

Along with the Fleetguard ES LF9028 - a bit pricey so best left in service for 2 OCI's.
    Have you used the Fleetguard LF9028?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

^^^I have 2 relatives - who are retired & RV full time.
    One has a 2015 6.7L CTD & One has a 2016 6.7L CTD.

They are brothers & actually travel together most the time.
    Both have run this filter since the 20K mile mark.
    Doing 10K mile OCI.
    Both leave the filter on for 2OCI.

I do believe both are right around 50-60K miles by now with zero issues.

I actually have 1 in my garage cabinet just waiting for the 25-35K mile mark in which at that time will be installed.

To answer your question: No - I have not yet, but I do have the 1 on hand & waiting to go into service.

I do believe the BDL7349 is the most efficient & highest quality (shelf bought / spin on) filter for our 6.7L.
    Once again: Just my Opinion!

Might possibly go with the BDL but the fluted bottom of the stratapore fits my new green filter wrench so nicely & makes removal so easy...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

11. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    ^^^I have 2 relatives - who are retired & RV full time.
    One has a 2015 6.7L CTD & One has a 2017 6.7L CTD.

They are brothers & actually travel together most the time.
    Both have run this filter since the 20K mile mark.
    Doing 10K mile OCI.
    Both leave the filter on for 2OCI.

They actually recommended the filter to me as well as Triax Oil & Schaeffer SoyShield.

I do believe both are right around 50-60K miles by now with zero issues.

Also this filter has received many stellar reviews from other 6.7L CTD - over @ BITOG. Also has been apart of many posted good looking UOAs within the same site.

I actually have 2 in my garage cabinet just waiting for the 25-35K mile mark in which at that time will be installed.

I'm going to run the Wix XP until that time since there is still a lot of break-in wear metals occurring. (Picked 6 up from Amazon for $7 ea).
    Going to be changing the oil & filter every 6K miles with the XP - Until the break in wear metals begin To slow down. Then switch to the extended service filters & extend my OCI To possible once a year or every other year. Depending on the results from the UOA.

To answer your question: No - I have not yet, but I do have them on hand & waiting to go into service.
    I will then begin doing UOAs every other year - while switching back & forth with the BDL7349 & the ES LF9028.

I do believe the BDL7349 is the most efficient & highest quality (shelf bought / spin on) filter for our 6.7L.
    I'm still on the fence on whether or not to use the LF9028. I'm just concerned about a reduction in oil flow and why Dodge won't recommend this filter for their small engines.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Likes SyN, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I totally understand.

I have witnessed: By reading more then a handful of Cummins owners running the LF9028 with stellar results & posting their positive results within the Diesel UOA thread within (BITOG.com) - Many recorded lower soot levels via a UOA trend.
    Granted they used a company that measures soot levels - some dont!

There have actually come across a few posts - with issues of lower oil psi with the BDL7349 - Due to it filtering down to a much lower micron rating - the filters were thought to be plugging up (only after a short amount of time in service).
    (I see no issues with these being run on a new motor along with very diligent maintenance routine).

Only negative feature about this awesome filter is - if I read the specs correctly - I think the filter operates Without a by-pass!
    In my eyes this is not a great idea.
    Unless the 6.7L has an internal by-pass within the oiling system?

Once again: CDF - I totally understand your concerns.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I want to try the Donaldson blue filter. I am worried about the high oil pressures generated from a very cold start with cold oil. IMO filters with bypasses open during cold, slow flow conditions. As the oil warms the pressure drops and the bypass closes. Without the bypass is it possible the filter media could fail? Without cutting open each filter and examining the media an owner would never know. This would allow the path of least resistance and actually cause more contaminants to remain in the oil stream. When the trucks build pressure i am not sure it can just be pinched off through a finer filter before the oil is warmed. The pressure has to go somewhere. With a bypass the oil flows. It is not filtered but it is flowing. This should not be an issue if the bypass closes and the oil that is circulating gets filtered before the truck is shut down. Does the Cummins have another oil bypass other than the one we find in the filter?
    I have always ran a filter with a bypass for this reason and allowed the secondary bypass oil filter to trap the finer stuff. But, if we can safely utilize this all in one bypass-less filter and filter out more without a dedicated bypass filter that would be nice. Until then i have been taking the safe route.

17. Thanks Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If something has changed, then I'm clueless. But the last I knew, there was a builtin bypass in the filter housing head. This to protect the system. The filter also. If the filter plugs it bypasses the filter, when pressure increases enough, the filter base bypasses to keep the engine lubed. If all these fail, then you get the low oil flow alert.
    If wrong, someone please chime in.

Also consider the viscosity of the oil. The thicker of viscosity, the slower flow of oil. Normally, if I'm wrong lease let me know, the recommended viscosity is minimum of 15w-50. Cold, it is 15w and flows easily. (I prefer 5w-40 and flows faster in colder climates and I run it year round) When its up to proper running temp, flows like the 40 it is. So to have a flow problem when cold or in colder climate, you could be running the wrong viscosity for the engine in that climate.

I run the Donaldson Blue for years, in all kinds of climates in every parts of the country ... without problems. I will stay this way until I find a better set up that pleases 'me'. I have nothing bad to say for any other filter or oil company.

'You' need to be comfortable with what is lubing your vehicle. Your vehicle is not in-expensive.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast