Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RECALL 2017 3500 TIEROD

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RECALL 2017 3500 TIEROD

surprised I haven't seen anything on here yet about this, Or I couldn't find with search. So as I have gathered there is no real fix. looks like dealerships will be
    WELDING NUTS if the tq specs are correct???? what weld? um if both nuts are welded then what about future adjustments needed. seems If it was tightened correctly and then add Loc-tite. I just got my letter in mail for this recall.

DRAG LINK RECALL not Tierod.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 06-13-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add
    2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

RECALL 2017 3500 TIEROD

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    surprised I haven't seen anything on here yet about this, Or I couldn't find with search. So as I have gathered there is no real fix. looks like dealerships will be
    WELDING NUTS if the tq specs are correct???? what weld? um if both nuts are welded then what about future adjustments needed. seems If it was tightened correctly and then add Loc-tite. I just got my letter in mail for this recall.
    I’ve got a recall letter in the mail but haven’t opened it up yet to see if it’s the same recall.... I’m not keen on them welding the nuts in place. That’s seems to me a cheap way to fix it... smh

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

Update.... I got back from vacation yesterday and opened the recall notice and it’s for the same thing as everybody has gotten. Surely FCA can come up with a better solution than to WELD?
    Wow! For a professional organization, they sound like a bunch of “fly by night mechanics” doing a quick fix!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: RECALL 2017 3500 TIEROD

I just loosened both nuts one at a time and red loctited them retightened and paint marked them on mine today

6. Likes david3gen, Abgunnar, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I’ve got a recall letter in the mail but haven’t opened it up yet to see if it’s the same recall.... I’m not keen on them welding the nuts in place. That’s seems to me a cheap way to fix it... smh

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    Yeah agree on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm currently working 12 hour days. Monday I'm off and will take a look. agreed. Dodge has really struck out with many years and the poor design or poor quality parts and now looks like this is bad quality control from factory. weld, not only a bandaid but it doesn't look like there is a fix. besides it may be loose on some trucks the nut. what is the real problem here.
    If a new tierod is needed as the recall states, are the planning on welding a new tierod? what a joke.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

10. Likes watersupply189, RamHunter18 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I had my truck at the dealer Friday to have 3 other recalls done. I got this recall letter in the mail on Thursday so I asked about getting it done while I was there. They told me they didn't have a fix for it yet and the service writer said he would call when they did. I hadn't heard of welding the nuts. I would think a safety wire would be an effective fix if it's the nut and bolt on the sleeve that is coming loose.

I had a 69 Chevy truck in high school that the tie rod sleeve rusted through and came apart. Instant loss of control. It went across the other lane, climbed a bank and centered a beech tree. I would think there should be a quick resolution since Ram is admitting there is a problem.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    I just loosened both nuts one at a time and red loctited them retightened and paint marked them on mine today
    It sounds like you have the best answer to your guys problem

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

It's not the same style your thinking about but saftey wire would still work

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Time will time. The whole welding thing is ridiculous

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I got this letter too, mine have been loose several times.

Here is the text from the Mopar Recall site:

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
    Some vehicles may have been built with an outboard steering linkage jam nut that could loosen allowing one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve. A drag link separation can result in a loss of directional steering control, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.

Repair Description
    Inspect the torque values. If the torque values meet requirement, the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the torque values do not meet requirement, the drag link assembly will be replaced.

I am not letting them weld the nut.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast