Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Mods for a 2012 2500 for Best MPG

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Mods for a 2012 2500 for Best MPG

I am buying a 2012 2500 next month with 105,000 miles on it. Its in nice shape and I know the owner and he has maintained very well since buying it new. I will be using it for some light towing, but mostly for my daily driver. What modifications can I do to get the HIGHEST MPG from this truck? I was thinking EGR delete and removal, 4'' exhaust replacement from tubo to tip, Stock tune
    (as I don't need or want more power) and finally new dry type intake.

What do you all think of my plan? What am I leaving off that would better my mileage? Anything here I don't need?

Thank you in advance!

2. Likes CumminsBrian liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Mods for a 2012 2500 for Best MPG

Quote Originally Posted by riflemann View Post
    I am buying a 2012 2500 next month with 105,000 miles on it. Its in nice shape and I know the owner and he has maintained very well since buying it new. I will be using it for some light towing, but mostly for my daily driver. What modifications can I do to get the HIGHEST MPG from this truck? I was thinking EGR delete and removal, 4'' exhaust replacement from tubo to tip, Stock tune

What do you all think of my plan? What am I leaving off that would better my mileage? Anything here I don't need?

Thank you in advance!

Hey bud, congrats on the truck! It's always good to get something that you know the maintenance plan well.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes CumminsBrian liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank you in advance!

Sounds like a good list- let it breath. The stock air box is fine honestly and can handle air for 500+hp so you can save a few bucks. The aftermarket will add a touch of turbo noise and dress up the engine bay if that’s something you’d like.

you will get better mileage on a tune with increased hp vs stock. My 120hp tune gets me the best mileage out of 30, 60, 90, 120. If you have some self control I would say go with a higher HP 120 ish. Just because the power is there doesn’t mean you have to use it. With a creditable tune it will run just as clean as stock so no worries on sooting up your truck or trailer.

Clayton with Dudes who chimed in already is the guy to reach out to if you haven’t connected already. He will take great care of you and if full of knowledge

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

thank you for your replies! I talked to current owner of the truck this afternoon and he won't be ready to sell for another 2 months so I have time to continue my research!

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thank you in advance!
    Removing any hard parts you must have a tuner and the MM3 from Ray at DRD he is and it is the best in the business

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Likes cumminsdieselfreak, CumminsBrian liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I deleted my 2012 3500 right when it was new at 1,500 miles. All I did was remove the DPF and NOX and replaced with a straight pipe. I did not see any real increase in MPG to speak of. Maybe a full delete would give me more. IDK.

Any way, you did not mention if this truck your looking is a 4x4. Installing front manual locking hub should help with MPG's. The whole front driveline is rotating even during non 4x4 use which changed in 2013, and adding manual hubs will save you about 150lbs in rotational mass, plus save on front driveline wear and tear. So I hear through the grapevine. I have not done this mod, I am thinking about it.

Just my 0.02! Good luck on your purchase!

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Narrow tires. Keep your throttle below 30% all the time. Good fuel with additive. Clean fluids and filters

12. Likes 300zx, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Locking hubs is a pretty good bump on mpg .. BMSoffroad sells the Yukon kit for 2012 dually for $1600 which includes shipping...(I have no relationship with BMSoffroad)
    Not to hard of a install either..