Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Help - Replacing parking light

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help - Replacing parking light

One parking light (front, passenger side) is out.

A warmish day last week I thought I would try to fix it and perhaps while at it, drain the water out.

I took out the 10mm bolts (one up top and one down low), moved the latch behind the wheel well and could not remove the Assembly.

First, it seemed the rear was still held and second, the flair on the headlight next to the grill could not get past the grill.

I looked at loosening the grill but only found easy access to the top bolt.

Is it really this hard? What ever happened to the 5 minute bulb change?

Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn CC SB SRW White Cummins Aisin with 5th wheel package
    ARE cap on order
    hunting for a chrome winch bumper
    need to add clearance lights
    Want Rigid Adapt driving lights

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Help - Replacing parking light

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx0849 View Post
    One parking light (front, passenger side) is out.

A warmish day last week I thought I would try to fix it and perhaps while at it, drain the water out.

I took out the 10mm bolts (one up top and one down low), moved the latch behind the wheel well and could not remove the Assembly.

First, it seemed the rear was still held and second, the flair on the headlight next to the grill could not get past the grill.

I looked at loosening the grill but only found easy access to the top bolt.

Is it really this hard? What ever happened to the 5 minute bulb change?

Help!

Gotta pull the grill to get the headlight out. Pretty simple job. I believe there is a cover with pushtabs covering the other 2 bolts. Then i belive the grille is snapped in at the bottom. Cannot remember though.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

As a Platinum member, you can download the manual.
    But it should be similar to the 3rd gen. 2 bolts in front and 1 in the wheel well.
    Then it pops out.
    A bit longer than 5 minutes, but not much.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

4th Gen is different than the 3rd. The grill has to come out, if your bumper is painted put some tape on it in front of the grill to prevent scratches, I know this from experience.

Pull the 4 push pins holding the radiator seal (heavy duty panel) remove the 4 bolts on the top of the grille then the bottom snaps out then you can pull the headlight. I have done this several times, it only takes 5 minutes.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    4th Gen is different than the 3rd. The grill has to come out, if your bumper is painted put some tape on it in front of the grill to prevent scratches, I know this from experience.

Pull the 4 push pins holding the radiator seal (heavy duty panel) remove the 4 bolts on the top of the grille then the bottom snaps out then you can pull the headlight. I have done this several times, it only takes 5 minutes.
    Agreed with an impact/drill. Once you do it once it’s easy- bolts are 10mm on the top of the grill- the two coarse thread screws are the outer and 2 fine thread in the middle. Once these are out the grill will pull forward as it’s held in by clips. Once the grills out of the way there are 2 forward facing on the headlight housing and one vertical on the grill side of the headlight. Once the screws are removed the headlight should wiggle but won’t fall out. There is a ball in socket on the fender side of the light that may need a little persuasion to be pulled straight out. Install in reverse order

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks so much. Once you have done it, it isn’t too bad. I got them both out but could not see anything about the parking lights. It looks like you have to remove the lens from the headlight assembly to get at the parking lights. I noticed that both the lights around the bottom and the ones on the side are out.

I unplugged the light to bring it indoors and remove the rear cover. 5 more screws. That makes 11 screws to change a bulb. I noticed lots of corrosion on several sockets on the headlight connector. I am worried that the connector is bad and not the lights.

Boy, this rivals Ford’s cab removal for some of the F350 service. What a horrible design.

I saw the 3 vent holes on the rear of the headlight. There was nothing attached . I did get to dump out the 2 inches of water from each.

Looking at the dirt on the back from splashing water, it looks like the lower vent gets pretty wet. I covered that one before putting things back.

I ran out of time today but I gotta fix it before May when I need a safety inspection. They will fail me on the parking/turn/emergency lights.

Since this is a failure of a safety system due to bad design I would think RAM owes us new headlights.

ARE cap on order

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks so much. Once you have done it, it isn’t too bad. I got them both out but could not see anything about the parking lights. It looks like you have to remove the lens from the headlight assembly to get at the parking lights. I noticed that both the lights around the bottom and the ones on the side are out.

I unplugged the light to bring it indoors and remove the rear cover. 5 more screws. That makes 11 screws to change a bulb. I noticed lots of corrosion on several sockets on the headlight connector. I am worried that the connector is bad and not the lights.

Boy, this rivals Ford’s cab removal for some of the F350 service. What a horrible design.

I saw the 3 vent holes on the rear of the headlight. There was nothing attached . I did get to dump out the 2 inches of water from each.

Looking at the dirt on the back from splashing water, it looks like the lower vent gets pretty wet. I covered that one before putting things back.

I ran out of time today but I gotta fix it before May when I need a safety inspection. They will fail me on the parking/turn/emergency lights.

Since this is a failure of a safety system due to bad design I would think RAM owes us new headlights.

You must have factory projectors. The dual and quad halogens are a much simpler design

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Help - Replacing parking light

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    You must have factory projectors. The dual and quad halogens are a much simpler design

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    Yes, factory projectors on a Longhorn.

2015 RAM 3500 SRW

Does someone sell a pigtail for the truck harness that I could splice in after cutting off a defective headlight connector? It is a 9 wire connection. I would hate to have to replace the harness. Mopar wants $350 for one.

ARE cap on order

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That would explain it. I am sure someone does. Clayton @dudes diesel performance likely will have something for you. Let’s see what he says

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yes, factory projectors on a Longhorn.

2015 RAM 3500 SRW

Does someone sell a pigtail for the truck harness that I could splice in after cutting off a defective headlight connector? It is a 9 wire connection. I would hate to have to replace the harness. Mopar wants $350 for one.

Take a look at the conversion harness sold by RetroShops. Still expensive at $125 but cheaper than the dealership for a new harness

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI