Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Rusty Baldwin Fuel Filter

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Permanent Vacation cumminsturbofreak's Avatar

User Info Menu

Unhappy Rusty Baldwin Fuel Filter

After 10,000 miles, it was time to change the, claimed best, Baldwin filter. What I saw made me cringe. Water in Fuel light never even came on, and it works because I tested it in a cup of water.

Guys at cumminsforum are saying that it's not a filter issue, but rather my fault? I don't go to the same fuel station everyday, but I make sure to go to the newest ones down here in Florida and Texas. And even if there was water, shouldn't this thing have separated it and caused the WIF light to illuminate before pushing all that rusty crap into my rail?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Rusty Baldwin Fuel Filter

I use several stations each month, but look for the somewhat busy ones for a good turn over of fuel.
    I've also used Baldwin filters for fuel and oil in the past, but never seen this.
    Yes, it should have given it time to separate the water from the fuel and the WIF light should have come on.

How 'bout more info. :
    Like is this the 1st time using this filter ?
    Happen in prior filters ?
    Only the same station ?
    Mileage on the truck ?
    Do you know if this station sells a lot of fuel each month ?
    Do you have a pre fuel/water filter ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I use the Mopar filters, as i got a great deal on them at one point both fuel filters, for $50 a pair, and engine oil filters for $5 I bought 10 pair of fuel and 20 oil filters. I stop at the same 5 stations all the time, with an occasional different one when I am away from my home area. I will always pay the truck stop price when away from home as they sell enough fuel and would likely be the first to know if there is an issue. my oil changes I do at every 7500 miles and my fuel filters, @ every other oil change. in several places I have found that Fleetgaurd makes the filters for Mopar, for the diesels. Since Fleetgaurd is owned by Cummins, I have used Fleetgaurd/Mopar on every Cummins I have owned since 2010.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Likes watersupply189, Yamahamod liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation cumminsturbofreak's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    How 'bout more info. :
    Like is this the 1st time using this filter ?
    Happen in prior filters ?
    Only the same station ?
    Mileage on the truck ?
    Do you know if this station sells a lot of fuel each month ?
    Do you have a pre fuel/water filter ?
    Yes, I purchased the truck with 72,000 miles in 2017, and the PO used Wix filters. I changed the filter at 88,000 to the Baldwin, and found this issue at 102,000. I was a bit off in my 10,000 estimate, but it is still within the 10,000 to 15,000 mile limit.

No idea, previous owner had wix, which uses no metal.

Most frequent station I visit is high traffic, but I fill up wherever I need to. I avoid low traffic, run down stations.

102,000 now.

No numbers, but they do sell quite a bit at all the stations I visit.

I do not currently. To stay with the stock style, I just ordered a 2013+ style water separator to add to my truck. It was cheap and it includes a water in fuel light.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post