Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Surging after start.

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Help! Surging after start.

Quote Originally Posted by RamCountry View Post
    It started about 6 months after I deleted the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was running alright before then I would guess FCA. How many miles on it? You can test it by starting the truck then unplugging it temporarily. If the tone changes and sounds more like a 12v then it’s not your issue. You don’t want to leave it unplugged for more than 10 seconds or so.

You can remove it and if it rattles then it’s bad as well. Buy from Cummins not dodge

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Thanks TH-64 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

No codes

I have 95k on the truck.

I have heard rumors the stock CP3 will implode. Is it worth replacing the CP3?

4. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

No codes

I have 95k on the truck.

I have heard rumors the stock CP3 will implode. Is it worth replacing the CP3?

Not right out if the gate. My understanding is CP3 are proven. Testing FCA is step 1 for sure. Easy to unplug and remove if you want to take it a step further. I believe there are 3 T10 torx to remove it. I think I paid about $80 for mine. I would even suspect bad fuel pump before CP3. If you have a buddy Wyeth the same truck you can swap his in as well and try it

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Top Of Page | #15

I ordered a FCA, does anyone know an easy way to check lift pump pressure?

9. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

The truck is surging after its started for about 15-20 seconds then levels out. The truck is deleted with a MM3 tuner.

The MM3 shows rail pressure to fluctuate almost 1000psi while surging. Right now I’m thinking possible weak lift pump or maybe an issue with the FCA.

Is there anything else I should look at?

2014 Tradesman

You completely deleted or just exhaust? Ive had a similar issue. On my old truck. Long story short. Didnt matter if it was cold or hot but would surge upon startup. Ended up being the throttle valve been about 4 years now. But i also believe i had the throttle valve unplugged when it got real bad. Diesel shop i tuned it at also was saying probably the regulator.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

11. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

EGR is disabled. I ordered a new FCA. I’m also wanting to check lift pump pressure. Anyone know any easy ways to check lift pump pressure?

13. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

EGR is disabled. I ordered a new FCA. I’m also wanting to check lift pump pressure. Anyone know any easy ways to check lift pump pressure?

Probably a fuel pressure tester. Not sure how it works on a diesel though.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

15. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

The truck is surging after its started for about 15-20 seconds then levels out. The truck is deleted with a MM3 tuner.

The MM3 shows rail pressure to fluctuate almost 1000psi while surging. Right now I’m thinking possible weak lift pump or maybe an issue with the FCA.

Is there anything else I should look at?

2014 Tradesman

Interested to see if you get this figured out. My 2013 has done this since it had 10k miles. It wasn’t very noticeable when stock but it had a very mild surge. Once deleted at 60k and tuned (DRD) it was more noticeable. I replace the FCA and it seemed to fix the surge for about a month but then came back, but not as bad as before. It acts just as you describe, clears up in 10 seconds and rail pressure fluctuates. Replaced the FCA a second time and it didn’t seem to help this time.

17. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

Help! Surging after start.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineguy View Post
    Interested to see if you get this figured out. My 2013 has done this since it had 10k miles. It wasn’t very noticeable when stock but it had a very mild surge. Once deleted at 60k and tuned (DRD) it was more noticeable. I replace the FCA and it seemed to fix the surge for about a month but then came back, but not as bad as before. It acts just as you describe, clears up in 10 seconds and rail pressure fluctuates. Replaced the FCA a second time and it didn’t seem to help this time.

I have ordered a new FCA. I plan on putting and Airdog 4g or a fleece dropping lift pump in it once I stud it. I’ll keep you updated.

19. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast