Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Few questions, kinda newby

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Few questions, kinda newby

1. when using the towing button does this not allow the tranny to go into OD? because i saw a video of someone saying only way to keep tranny when towing is to manual shift it to 5th.

2. i under stand that extra power can hurt the stock tranny but whats the difference when your towing something heavy, aint that straining the tranny the same way?

3. after tuning your truck, how long you have to wait before you tow something like a rv..

thank you guys

2018 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / 2" Level kit / 35 x 13.5 Ridge Grapplers / 20 x 10 RBP/ AMP research steps/Deleted with DRD Tunes/ Paragon cover
    Work In Progress

2. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram, Yamahamod liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Few questions, kinda newby

Quote Originally Posted by fjimmy123 View Post
    1. when using the towing button does this not allow the tranny to go into OD? because i saw a video of someone saying only way to keep tranny when towing is to manual shift it to 5th.

2. i under stand that extra power can hurt the stock tranny but whats the difference when your towing something heavy, aint that straining the tranny the same way?

3. after tuning your truck, how long you have to wait before you tow something like a rv..

thank you guys
    The “tow” button only changes the shift points. The paddle shifter provides manual control of the gears.

Towing heavy can damage a tranny, but as long as you stay within mfg limits you should be OK. The tranny is designed for stock hp and torque. Just keep an eye on tranny temps. After tuning, also keep an eye on EGTs.

I believe that after the first tune, the tranny has to go through a “learning” stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes watersupply189, Yamahamod liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

ok, thank you...gonna have to get egt sensor...

2018 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / 2" Level kit / 35 x 13.5 Ridge Grapplers / 20 x 10 RBP/ AMP research steps/Deleted with DRD Tunes/ Paragon cover
    Work In Progress

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

thank you guys
    1 a good rule on the older trucks, the newer ones know enough of the environment, and conditions that they do alot of the protection itself by changing/remapping shift points.

2 transmissions are tempermental things. too much power will kill them if you drive with your foot to the floor, too much weight will overheat them leading to premature wear. long and short, if you abuse it, it will let you down. If you baby it, she will take care of you.

3 You have a trans relearn fr the first 50 to 100 miles after tuning. I would honestly wait until after that, unless the truck always has a trailer behind it (like a hotshot hauler) then I would just drive normally.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Likes watersupply189, Yamahamod liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

thank you guys

Hey! I see your in austin. We aren't far from each other at all.

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to tow something with a decent amount of weight, do not hit the tow/haul button and drive around at highway speeds and go over what little hills we do have and see how it reacts. Next put it in tow/haul and do the same thing to see how that reacts. you will see a noticeable difference. You can also do this without a load as well and give it moderate throttle. You should be able to feel the difference just by doing that as well.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes watersupply189, Yamahamod liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

cool, thanks guys, DDP you have shop in Taylor or just internet shop? am actually by pflugerville lake, those houses around there

Work In Progress

12. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post