Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Dual mass VS Single mass flywheel clutches

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Dual mass VS Single mass flywheel clutches

Before I install new tunes from DRD what are the pros and cons on Dual mass VS Single mass flywheel clutches? I know I need to do one or the other. From the research I've done I'm leaning toward a single mass system from Phenix Friction. The one I'm considering is rated at 715 HP and 1280 TQ. Opinions please. Thx.

2. Likes Controlled_Pair253 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Dual mass VS Single mass flywheel clutches

Dual mass isn’t really an option if you’re upping the power.

Single mass is going to be noisier.

i’ve been tuned for a couple months now and havent had any slippage with the stock dual mass but I’m taking it easy and havent gone past the 30hp tune.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F1 coyote View Post
    Before I install new tunes from DRD what are the pros and cons on Dual mass VS Single mass flywheel clutches? I know I need to do one or the other. From the research I've done I'm leaning toward a single mass system from Phenix Friction. The one I'm considering is rated at 715 HP and 1280 TQ. Opinions please. Thx.

If you daily drive your truck and drive normal the stock clutch lasts quite awhile. If you like to have fun and play around then it won't last too long LOL.

I have not messed with that brand yet but have heard some good things about them. We are a valair dealer if your interested in on of those clutches and would be happy to help ya out.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I appreciate the comments guys. I think the best thing is to just get the tunes and mods done, then see how the clutch is going act with the demands I put on the truck.

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

Single Mass setups are usually smoother. I hate the dual Mass setups on the Duramax's. Had nothing but issues out of mine on my 03 Dmax.

Diesel Dawgs
    (828)399-1556

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member Controlled_Pair253's Avatar

User Info Menu

My phenix is loud a hell. It locks up great though. Phenix jas been in the clutch game for a LONG TIME. I killed my south bend, so I went with Phenix. It locks up tight, the clutch isn't so heavy you can't daily it, it's single mass, im super happy with it. It's got about 5500k in it right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled_Pair253 View Post
    My phenix is loud a hell. It locks up great though. Phenix jas been in the clutch game for a LONG TIME. I killed my south bend, so I went with Phenix. It locks up tight, the clutch isn't so heavy you can't daily it, it's single mass, im super happy with it. It's got about 5500k in it right now.

Which facing did you get with your clutch the ceramic or fermalloy? I think I read somewhere the fermalloy is smoother, but I'd like to know for sure. I heard that 7 quarts mobil delvac 50 goes a long way in quieting down the gear rollover. Thanks for the response. Just trying to avoid some crap.

11. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member Controlled_Pair253's Avatar

User Info Menu

Which facing did you get with your clutch the ceramic or fermalloy? I think I read somewhere the fermalloy is smoother, but I'd like to know for sure. I heard that 7 quarts mobil delvac 50 goes a long way in quieting down the gear rollover. Thanks for the response. Just trying to avoid some crap.
    Fermalloy, stayed away from the ceramic. Its smooth as silk, and locks up. I'm running 550hp and it has no issue. I didn't use the delvac but it's still loud while idling.

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thx Controlled_Pair253, I had a feeling the Fermalloy might be the way to go.