Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil Leak

Noticed today that I have a oil leak and possible a transmission leak on my 2017 Ram 2500. Truck has 26K miles and is my daily driver, no towing yet with it. Any idea where the leaks might be coming from?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Leak

You need to determine which is it. Clean the area real well and wait until you see it again. Honey or dark most likely oil, red should be trans. Then you determine if its a seal, gasket, fitting, ect ...

Then you on the road to repair

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It's oil (dark) but when I touched the wet part on the transmission pan it wasn't black like the oil.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
    It's oil (dark) but when I touched the wet part on the transmission pan it wasn't black like the oil.
    Better hope it gets worse before its out of warranty. LOL. Dealer prob wont touch that as it sits right now. They will consider it seepage. To everyone else its considered a leak to a dealer its seapage or however you spell it. Hope i am wrong though

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

But if its under warrantee and you don't have them document it, there's no foundation to work from to further this. They need a chance to say yes or no first.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Looks like rear main seal to me- gasket is a Booger to get to. Trans will need to be pulled. Hit it with brake clean and check on it after a few hundred miles

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
    Noticed today that I have a oil leak and possible a transmission leak on my 2017 Ram 2500. Truck has 26K miles and is my daily driver, no towing yet with it. Any idea where the leaks might be coming from?

https://i146.photobucket.com/albums/...psjjsp98nr.jpg

https://i146.photobucket.com/albums/...psmz90yfrc.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...psvhuhpmv6.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...psmbrze0tk.jpg

A few of these trucks with low mileage has had their cam seal and rear main seal leaking. Dealer replaced under warranty as well on most of them.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    A few of these trucks with low mileage has had their cam seal and rear main seal leaking. Dealer replaced under warranty as well on most of them.
    I would hope that a weeping gasket after 26k is not normal!! Never know with dealers...

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    I would hope that a weeping gasket after 26k is not normal!! Never know with dealers...
    LOL I would not either but we both know that some of the quality has been going downhill lately LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    LOL I would not either but we both know that some of the quality has been going downhill lately LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of my experience with dealers has been different than if an individual takes their vehicle in though. I used to be a tech at carmax. So we would send alot of vehicles to the dealer for things that should be covered under warranty. And more times than not it was a battle LOL. But thats probably because we were another dealer. So yall know how that goes

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast