Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Stock Turbo Max Boost

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Stock Turbo Max Boost

I have a 2004 5.9 HO with what I’m pretty sure is still the stock turbo. Only mods I know of (bought truck last week) is an Edge Juice with Attitude CTS2 programmer. What is the best way to increase boost and what can the stock turbo withstand? Assuming everything else enginewise is stock as well. Also, I may or may not want to blow some smoke and was wondering how one does that? Last, but not least, I here a lot of other Cummins with loud blow off/or what sounds like a jet engine shutting down on decel, how does one do that? New to the diesel world so trying to get as much info as possible. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Stock Turbo Max Boost

Welcome to the diesel world. Your max boost will be about 35psi- you don’t want to run any more than that since it will be out of MAP and not efficient.

Your truck likely already makes the whistle sound which is the turbo singing. There is a turbo silencer which can be removed easily that will increase turbo noise in the cab. Plenty of you tube videos on this. A basic air intake and intake horn will create better flow for the turbo.

Some people will flame you on the black smoke, it’s just fuel that was not burned during the cylinder ignition. The edge is a basic tuner that adds fuel the higher tune number you go (ex 1 stock ish 5 smoke fest/lots of fuel.

you will want to keep an eye on your EGT (exhaust gas temperature). This is the air temp leaving the motor to out the exhaust. Anything over 1100 for any duration is asking for trouble down the road.

i highly recommend looking into ditching the edge and getting some custom tuning. The edge will seem like a good tuner since you can feel power over stock but it will be the slow death for the truck.

The custom tuning utilizes parameters besides fuel to make cleaner power.

enjoy and use the search button here- there’s a lot of good info

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks Amd241997, david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes Amd241997, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Welcome to the diesel world. Your max boost will be about 35psi- you don’t want to run any more than that since it will be out of MAP and not efficient.

Your truck likely already makes the whistle sound which is the turbo singing. There is a turbo silencer which can be removed easily that will increase turbo noise in the cab. Plenty of you tube videos on this. A basic air intake and intake horn will create better flow for the turbo.

Some people will flame you on the black smoke, it’s just fuel that was not burned during the cylinder ignition. The edge is a basic tuner that adds fuel the higher tune number you go (ex 1 stock ish 5 smoke fest/lots of fuel.

you will want to keep an eye on your EGT (exhaust gas temperature). This is the air temp leaving the motor to out the exhaust. Anything over 1100 for any duration is asking for trouble down the road.

i highly recommend looking into ditching the edge and getting some custom tuning. The edge will seem like a good tuner since you can feel power over stock but it will be the slow death for the truck.

The custom tuning utilizes parameters besides fuel to make cleaner power.

enjoy and use the search button here- there’s a lot of good info
    What’s wrong exactly with the edge? I didn’t buy it since it was already on the truck, but for what it’s worth (literally) it seems nice to me and has some useful features. I also have my max psi set at 36 and EGT at 1400 so it’ll let me now when I’ve reached that and when to back down. I haven’t been too aggressive with the truck yet since I’m still learning it. Thank you for al the info though it was much appreciated!

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

There isn’t anything really wrong with the edge. I had one for my 06 and thought it was awesome then switched to EFI live which was way way awesome relatively speaking. The way edge increases horsepower is by primarily adding fuel. While this works it has side effects which are hotter temps, black smoke, and excessive fuel use.

The max psi is fine it likely won’t reach there. The map sensor that it uses to read boost only reads to mid 30s psi which is what the turbo was designed to max out at.

If it were m I’d put the warning at 1100 and know I can stay in it briefly after it sounds. 1400 is cookin- Literally!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes Amd241997 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    There isn’t anything really wrong with the edge. I had one for my 06 and thought it was awesome then switched to EFI live which was way way awesome relatively speaking. The way edge increases horsepower is by primarily adding fuel. While this works it has side effects which are hotter temps, black smoke, and excessive fuel use.

The max psi is fine it likely won’t reach there. The map sensor that it uses to read boost only reads to mid 30s psi which is what the turbo was designed to max out at.

If it were m I’d put the warning at 1100 and know I can stay in it briefly after it sounds. 1400 is cookin- Literally!
    Awesome info thank you! I’ve got a turboback on the way so hopefully she’ll flow cooler. Hoping to do injector and turbo upgrades this summer. I may do some digging around the diesel shops near me and any truck meets I find to ask more questions because this is definitely going to be a real hobby of mine.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

What trans is in it?

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Amd241997 View Post
    I have a 2004 5.9 HO with what I’m pretty sure is still the stock turbo. Only mods I know of (bought truck last week) is an Edge Juice with Attitude CTS2 programmer. What is the best way to increase boost and what can the stock turbo withstand? Assuming everything else enginewise is stock as well. Also, I may or may not want to blow some smoke and was wondering how one does that? Last, but not least, I here a lot of other Cummins with loud blow off/or what sounds like a jet engine shutting down on decel, how does one do that? New to the diesel world so trying to get as much info as possible. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum bud. Glad to have ya here. Let me know if you have any questions as im happy to help

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Likes Amd241997 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    What trans is in it?
    Pretty sure it’s just a rebuilt stock transmission. Still waiting on the paperwork from the dealer.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The HE351 start to become inefficient around 35 PSI. If you have the HE341, I'm not sure what the map is on that, but my guess is a little lower. Your 1400° EGT alarm is fine, i have mine set at 1600°. If i remember correctly, these engines were tested at 1300° or 1500° EGTs for 24 hours. Look at sled pullers and drag races, they can hit upwards of 2000° EGTs and maybe more. Aluminum melts at 12XX°. At that temp it doesn't start melting instantly. You also have to look at the fact that the block and head will absorb some heat and oil and fresh air cool your pistons. So don't worry too much about EGTs. Your edge tuner is a box tuner which is ok, but edge does tend to run hot. If you want better tuning, HPT or smarty/MM3 will be the way to go. It will be a night and difference. Your tranny will need to be beefed up though.

14. Likes david3gen liked this post