Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Aluminum Shards In Oil Filter

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Aluminum Shards In Oil Filter

2015 Ram 2500 Cummin 4 door Short bed, 80,000 miles I had a timing cover leak since brand new. I had it in the dealer 3 times the last 2 they said they replaced the timing cover gasket. Since then it's still leaking and the harmonic balance bolts have come loose and almost made contact with the radiator and other things I have found messed up or loose since then. Became curious one day and cut open my oil filter and was surprised to find aluminum shards or shavings in it. Couple questions Where else would aluminum be able to make it into the engine oil, have the pieces been running through all the passageways through the engine. I'm worried about the bearings on the crank and cam. I have plenty of pics just cant load from my phone.

2. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Aluminum Shards In Oil Filter

1st I'd keep the proof, notify the dealer and let them respond. Might draw an oil sample to have tested for knowledge and documentation if needed.

If its in the filter, its more than likely been throughout the entire engine. More than likely time will tell, but I'd have them flush and refill again .. then again soon after.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post