Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Starting problems

This probably isn't the right place to post this question but my brother in laws 16' Laramie megacab is been giving him fits. He traded his 3rd gen in for this truck used with around 10k miles last spring. Lucky for him he still has a 2nd gen that is reliable because ever since this fall once the temps got down in the 40 degree range it wont start. He replaced the batteries and checked connections and even took it into the dealer. None of that resolved the issue. When he gets in and pushes the button to let it preheat etc. Everything checks out fine and there are no codes. As soon as he hits his push button. Again everything just shuts down. Wont crank or try to start. So everytime he needs to use his truck or take it somewhere it has to be jumped. Once jumped and he drives it for awhile you would think it would start right back up if turned off for just a few seconds but it wont. It continues to do it and has to be jumped. This has been going on now for just about half of his ownership. He has only put around 3k miles on the truck and it is bone stock. Doesn't even have window tint LOL. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated because clearly the dealership isn't helping find the issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Starting problems

Quote Originally Posted by Joshault View Post
    This probably isn't the right place to post this question but my brother in laws 16' Laramie megacab is been giving him fits. He traded his 3rd gen in for this truck used with around 10k miles last spring. Lucky for him he still has a 2nd gen that is reliable because ever since this fall once the temps got down in the 40 degree range it wont start. He replaced the batteries and checked connections and even took it into the dealer. None of that resolved the issue. When he gets in and pushes the button to let it preheat etc. Everything checks out fine and there are no codes. As soon as he hits his push button. Again everything just shuts down. Wont crank or try to start. So everytime he needs to use his truck or take it somewhere it has to be jumped. Once jumped and he drives it for awhile you would think it would start right back up if turned off for just a few seconds but it wont. It continues to do it and has to be jumped. This has been going on now for just about half of his ownership. He has only put around 3k miles on the truck and it is bone stock. Doesn't even have window tint LOL. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated because clearly the dealership isn't helping find the issue.

I highly recommend getting the batteries tested. These trucks do not like anything less then a fully charged battery LOL.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes Joshault, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    I highly recommend getting the batteries tested. These trucks do not like anything less then a fully charged battery LOL.
    Well batteries was the go to first thing to check but even after replacing both batteries it continued. LOL planning to have the new batteries retested just didnt know if you guys would have any other ideas on possible causes. Thanks.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Since it’s a keyless start have you replaced the battery in the key fob? I don’t know if that’s the problem but couldn’t hurt to check it?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Likes Joshault liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Since it’s a keyless start have you replaced the battery in the key fob? I don’t know if that’s the problem but couldn’t hurt to check it?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    As far as I know he hasn't but never gives a error code for key not present and key does everything it should no problem except remote start but that's just because the truck womt start unless jumped.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Well like DDP said check your batteries. I know you said they were replaced but even new ones could have a cell going bad causing the truck to have to be jumped. Our trucks are very temperamental when it comes to weak batteries.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If the batteries checks out good and is fully charged, it's something else.
    Then I'd look at the rest of the starting system.
    If they are good .. but drained some, then starting and charging needs looking into.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Don't you just put your foot on the brake and push the button? It will preheat if needed and try to start on its it's own, no need to push the button again. But definitely recheck the batteries separately and test the charging system. So did it start fine at the dealer then?

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    Don't you just put your foot on the brake and push the button? It will preheat if needed and try to start on its it's own, no need to push the button again. But definitely recheck the batteries separately and test the charging system. So did it start fine at the dealer then?
    Mine has a key and his is push button. I know you push the brake then the button to start but idk on the preheat deal. To answer your question it went to the dealer because the def pump and injector went out and while it was there they reflashed it and told him the reflash would fix his starting issue which made zero sense to me but that dont mean that it wouldn't. It started for him when he picked it up and then went to get in it that night to go home from a friends and had to be jumped. He went out the next morning after getting home and again it had to be jumped. Has not started since but they havent had a chance to get it back to the dealer.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

All good advice here. Double check the CCA on the batteries. Depending who put them in or advised what to buy they may be undersized.

if it works while being jumped it’s getting more voltage at that time while hooked up. Next suspect would be alternator for me. Check connections to make sure they are clean on alternator and on batteries!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

19. Likes Joshault, watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast