Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Need help identifying grille screw

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Need help identifying grille screw

I recently had my truck in a body shop after getting hit with a sheet of ice from a school bus and most of the damage was to the grille area. The body shop installed a new grille but they are all the coarse thread screws and very loose instead of the course thread screws on the outside and the fine thread screws on the inside. I added a pic below, the fine thread screws I'm looking for are indicated by red arrows, the coarse thread screws are in black.

The only part numbers I can find are for 2010-2012 Ram 2500/3500 but I think they are the same as I've had to purchase one of the coarse thread screws to replace a broken one, the coarse thread into plastic and the fine threads into metal

Fine Thread screws(inner) Part# 6504785(I can't seem to find these for Ram, they only show up for Jeep Grand Cherokee's and a lot of websites show them as being discontinued.

Coarse Thread screws(outer) Part# 68084488AA

grille.jpg

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need help identifying grille screw

Quote Originally Posted by bfg2500 View Post
    I recently had my truck in a body shop after getting hit with a sheet of ice from a school bus and most of the damage was to the grille area. The body shop installed a new grille but they are all the coarse thread screws and very loose instead of the course thread screws on the outside and the fine thread screws on the inside. I added a pic below, the fine thread screws I'm looking for are indicated by red arrows, the coarse thread screws are in black.

The only part numbers I can find are for 2010-2012 Ram 2500/3500 but I think they are the same as I've had to purchase one of the coarse thread screws to replace a broken one, the coarse thread into plastic and the fine threads into metal

Fine Thread screws(inner) Part# 6504785(I can't seem to find these for Ram, they only show up for Jeep Grand Cherokee's and a lot of websites show them as being discontinued.

grille.jpg
    Hopefully someone will chime in here that will be more helpful than me....I searched a bit but just found the Jeep stuff like you.

My first thought was why not take it back to the shop and have them fix it correctly?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

grille.jpg
    Ide just figure out the thread pitch and take a ride to lowes or auto fasteners. Not sure of the thread but i know its the same as a fine thread tag bolt

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

6. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

grille.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Ide just figure out the thread pitch and take a ride to lowes or auto fasteners. Not sure of the thread but i know its the same as a fine thread tag bolt
    You could try Auvico (Spelling) They make all that stuff. There catalog is just stuffed with stuff. When you find the part number, then google that or check eGay

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The body shop is showing that all 4 of the screws are coarse threaded, even my dealership parts department confirmed that all 4 screws are coarse thread, this make no sense why no one know about the inner fine threaded screws????

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Unless the fender was replaced for some reason that doesn't make sense to me either. I guess they don't have the old one that came out of it?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The body shop is showing that all 4 of the screws are coarse threaded, even my dealership parts department confirmed that all 4 screws are coarse thread, this make no sense why no one know about the inner fine threaded screws????
    I'm assuming these screws go into plastic. If so, a regular sheet metal screw will suffice. It's done all the time. Just make sure it's the right size. It's probably a #6 or 8. Use philips head. Much easier to install

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Unless the fender was replaced for some reason that doesn't make sense to me either. I guess they don't have the old one that came out of it?
    Nope thrown out with the rest of the broken parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I'm assuming these screws go into plastic. If so, a regular sheet metal screw will suffice. It's done all the time. Just make sure it's the right size. It's probably a #6 or 8. Use philips head. Much easier to install
    The out screws go into plastic the inner screws go into metal.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The out screws go into plastic the inner screws go into metal.

I don't know inner from outer. The screws you are showing are for plastic so..... I wouldn't get your panty hose bunched up over getting the right screw. LOL Just get the right sized sheet metal screw and call it a day. For an extra touch, use stainless. You don't see them so it doesn't matter.

I applaud you wanting to do the right thing. I'm a bit anil on that too. BUT! In this case it doesn't matter. Nobody sees them and they will hold just as well. Just be careful of the diameter so you don't split the plastic. There again, that's what they make crazy glue for.

If it was a restoration of a classic, I'd be going with the right stuff. I have about $1000 worth of body fasteners in my shop. That much again in stainless bolts. @F350Cummins will tell you the hardware I keep. Especially the odd stuff. Macgyver. LOL

Go for the sheet metal screws and get some sleep.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post