Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion on this set up?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Opinion on this set up?

Natebrody and Polarco are talking about the right things. The turbine 64.5, 67, 71 (mm size) etc are the blades that move the air. Think of a ceiling fan - the smaller the fan blades (64.5) the sooner they are able to turn with less effort/resistance. Although they turn easier to start once they are spinning to full potential they can only move a certain amount of air. The larger fan blades (71) are a bit more difficult to get moving and momentum but once spinning is able to move more air because it is larger.

The larger numbers (71+mm) is when you will hear about lagging or taking more time to build boost and get going. The 67mm is the best overall performance for the 6.7s from all the research I have done. It spools like stock but has larger blades to move more volume than stock giving you more top end power. 1900+rpm is when the big boost hit will come and it lights instantly. Anything less than that will be the 0-10psi range depending on throttle % and load.

Overall there are ways you can mix and match the turbine (64.5), compressor housing (68), and exhaust housing (T4 divided .91)

Turbine - blades in turbo
    Compressor housing - space around the turbine (its home)
    exhaust housing - shape and cut that connects to manifold. There are different shapes and sizes for these

The 64.5 will spool real quick since it is smaller than the 67 that does fine. You may want to watch EGTs depending on how hard you tow and what terrain. Still an improvement over stock.

Someone please let me know if I am off on this!! I am not an expert just what I have gathered after ALOT of reading over the years

To Capt Point- there are improvements to the housing to help increase flow. The Borg SXE turbos flow extremely well- you can get away with a smaller 64.5 and have it flow like a 67 because of how they machined inside the housing to increase the air moving.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Natebrody and Polarco are talking about the right things. The turbine 64.5, 67, 71 (mm size) etc are the blades that move the air. Think of a ceiling fan - the smaller the fan blades (64.5) the sooner they are able to turn with less effort/resistance. Although they turn easier to start once they are spinning to full potential they can only move a certain amount of air. The larger fan blades (71) are a bit more difficult to get moving and momentum but once spinning is able to move more air because it is larger.

The larger numbers (71+mm) is when you will hear about lagging or taking more time to build boost and get going. The 67mm is the best overall performance for the 6.7s from all the research I have done. It spools like stock but has larger blades to move more volume than stock giving you more top end power. 1900+rpm is when the big boost hit will come and it lights instantly. Anything less than that will be the 0-10psi range depending on throttle % and load.

Overall there are ways you can mix and match the turbine (64.5), compressor housing (68), and exhaust housing (T4 divided .91)

exhaust housing - shape and cut that connects to manifold. There are different shapes and sizes for these

The 64.5 will spool real quick since it is smaller than the 67 that does fine. You may want to watch EGTs depending on how hard you tow and what terrain. Still an improvement over stock.

Someone please let me know if I am off on this!! I am not an expert just what I have gathered after ALOT of reading over the years

To Capt Point- there are improvements to the housing to help increase flow. The Borg SXE turbos flow extremely well- you can get away with a smaller 64.5 and have it flow like a 67 because of how they machined inside the housing to increase the air moving.
    Awesome write up Tex!!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks TexNeck, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

Thanks a ton for this write up TexNeck. Ive been reading for almost two months now so I'm glad I am on the right track.

With all this information I think I'll lean on the 67mm rather than the 64.5mm. I'm still digging to make sure im ordering the right pieces. But this gives me much more of an understanding and comfort.

Very much appreciated!

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natebrody11 View Post
    Thanks a ton for this write up TexNeck. Ive been reading for almost two months now so I'm glad I am on the right track.

With all this information I think I'll lean on the 67mm rather than the 64.5mm. I'm still digging to make sure im ordering the right pieces. But this gives me much more of an understanding and comfort.

Very much appreciated!
    Happy to help. That is why we are here!

Shoot Clayton at Dudes Diesel Performance a PM or call and pick his brain (he is a vendor on here). He will make sure you are fixed up with what your needs are. Great guy to deal with!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

Happy to help. That is why we are here!

Shoot Clayton at Dudes Diesel Performance a PM or call and pick his brain (he is a vendor on here). He will make sure you are fixed up with what your needs are. Great guy to deal with!
    I'll definitely do that this week! Thanks again!

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12