Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotta Question ya'll...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Gotta Question ya'll...

Gotta a 2018 stock 6.7 mated with a 68RFE and was wondering what's a good speed and gear to tow a 15500 lb (max loaded wt) 5th wheel would be? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Gotta Question ya'll...

Quote Originally Posted by sowega View Post
    Gotta a 2018 stock 6.7 mated with a 68RFE and was wondering what's a good speed and gear to tow a 15500 lb (max loaded wt) 5th wheel would be? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!!
    No experience with a 2018, but our 2010 pulls our 15k fiver just fine. 6.7, 68RFE, and 3.73 rear. We’ve been full-time RVers for 5 years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Thanks sowega thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, sowega liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention - I usually tow in fifth gear, keeping rpms up around 1900-2000 at 65 mph. Only time I use sixth if on the flats if there’s no wind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Thanks sowega thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, sowega liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

X2 for everything @Bobtipton said. Focus on keeping the engine rpms in the sweet spot, only use 6th when it's good and flat. I'm at about 10k and try to stay between 65-70mph on the highways. I see no point in getting in a rush, if I'm pulling the camper that means I'm on vacation

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks sowega thanked for this post
    Likes sowega, 4kids2dogs&RV, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response! I'm new to the RAM and was curious about where folks with experience and tow RV's find the RAM runs comfortable. Will take your advice and that of "Power247".

10. Likes watersupply189, Bobtipton, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Just recently finished our first trip with our 40 foot 5th wheel RV behind the 2018 3500 equipted with the 68RFE transmission and 373 rear end. Trip was just short of 600 miles round trip. Kept a close eye on the engine and transmission internal temps that were displayed on the dash. Ambient temps on the days we were actually pulling the unit on the road were in mid seventies. Engine coolant temps based on 60 mph cruising speed ranged from a low of 192 degrees to a high of 201 degrees based on up and down hill pulling as well as acceleration. Most of the time the engine coolant temps were around 194 degrees on the flats at 60 mph. Transmission temps went to what for this truck seems to the norm of 167 degrees and never went higher. Oil temp was 203 degrees and never went higher. Oil pressure stayed at 51/52 psi. According to the tachometer cruising in 5th gear (used 5th gear per the recommendations above) the engine was turning around 2000 rpm. Fuel mileage averaged 9.87 mpg. Question for the members is, would these numbers be considered somewhat normal? Thanks for taking the time for reading this post....

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Yamahamod liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sowega View Post
    Just recently finished our first trip with our 40 foot 5th wheel RV behind the 2018 3500 equipted with the 68RFE transmission and 373 rear end. Trip was just short of 600 miles round trip. Kept a close eye on the engine and transmission internal temps that were displayed on the dash. Ambient temps on the days we were actually pulling the unit on the road were in mid seventies. Engine coolant temps based on 60 mph cruising speed ranged from a low of 192 degrees to a high of 201 degrees based on up and down hill pulling as well as acceleration. Most of the time the engine coolant temps were around 194 degrees on the flats at 60 mph. Transmission temps went to what for this truck seems to the norm of 167 degrees and never went higher. Oil temp was 203 degrees and never went higher. Oil pressure stayed at 51/52 psi. According to the tachometer cruising in 5th gear (used 5th gear per the recommendations above) the engine was turning around 2000 rpm. Fuel mileage averaged 9.87 mpg. Question for the members is, would these numbers be considered somewhat normal? Thanks for taking the time for reading this post....
    Yes sir looks normal to me!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

14. Thanks sowega thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Looks good to me as far as temps. Not sure about fuel but that thing would have some drag so seems right!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks sowega thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Sounds like your doing every good. Tow mode exhaust brake and let the truck do the work. If your in 6th and notice it down shifting to 5th frequently then lock out 6th but other wise if your stock I dont think you have anything to worry about. 6th should be fine especially with 3.73s

18. Thanks sowega thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

5th gear and 65mph is what I would do if it were me with that kind of load.

20. Thanks sowega thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast