Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question how things work with tuning.

1. Top Of Page | #1

Question how things work with tuning.

Hey y'all, I recently posted on here and got a great deal of help.

My truck is a 2011 6.7 with 120k miles, deleted. Little if no towing is done but I do carry a good bit of weight in the bed (6k) as its a welding rig.

My stock VGT turbo seems to have inevitably gone bad and I am in desperate need of getting the truck back on the road.

I've talked to others and looked into 2nd gen kits but i still think I'm going to stick with the 3rd gen s300 turbo. I was specifically recommended to the High Tech Turbo s300 direct replacement set up for $1300. A pretty happy price range without a new tuner/tunes but still open to ideas.

Along with that, all the reading I've done I feel like its telling me that the 64.5/.90 turbo is a great set up for stock fuel as a replacement for the stock holset.

I'm trying to keep the truck reliable and try to avoid much more damage on the truck for a little bit.

This may or may not be wrong and as always appreciate input.

But my real question which may show off how green I am is,

If this turbo from HTT is closely resembling the stock turbo, do I absolutely need new tuning before I even pull the truck out of the drive way?
    Do I need it at all?

Is it something i can drive for a couple weeks until the new tuner/tunes come in without risking the truck?

My truck also currently has an H&S tuner in it that no longer works.

Sorry if i missed any key information and I really appreciate any input you guys might have.

Thank you!

-Nate

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Question how things work with tuning.

The problem we see is the tuner.

No one supports the H&S anymore.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

Thank you for the reply.

I am definitely looking at a new tuner and looking to buy the turbo set up and a MM3 tuner at the same time.

I More than anything was just curious if installing the turbo without the new tuner and starting/driving the truck would give me massive issues?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natebrody11 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

I am definitely looking at a new tuner and looking to buy the turbo set up and a MM3 tuner at the same time.

I More than anything was just curious if installing the turbo without the new tuner and starting/driving the truck would give me massive issues?
    I have been researching turbo upgrades forma while now. Most I have read about have custom tuning so they get updated tuning as part of the install process. As long as you don't go too much bigger than stock, your current tuning will be fine until you can get new tuning to really take advantage of the upgrades..

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI