Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow Mirror Puddle Light?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tow Mirror Puddle Light?

I am replacing my tow mirrors with chrome housing models. I pulled my drivers side and went to install it at work during lunch- lung story short I needed to trim studs to clear A pillar. I put OE mirror back on- left it unplugged and my door panel off for ride home. I stopped at a couple places. After the second stop my CEL came on from amibeint temp sensor (which is in the mirror)

now for the problem- I installed new mirror after trimming stud and the heat/power glass work along with turn/flasher but no puddle light. I put my OE back on and that puddle light is not working either which tells me it’s not the bulb.

From what I have read there is no fuse they are just run on canbus.

Any ideas what could be going on? I can live without em but it’s the fact they were working that bothers me.

My passenger mirrors puddle light is working still and I have not attempted to swap that mirror yet

i did clear cel as well with no chsnge

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tow mirror puddle light

Hmmmm. So lemme ask ya. Did the ambient air temp start workingg after clearing the light? Also did you turn the key on or anything while the mirror was unplugged. It is possible there is a code stored in the door module or bcm that you cannot get to with the mm3. And the light isnt working just because of the code. Not saying this is it. But it is a possibility. When i put tow mirrors on mine i ended up having to change out the original ambient air temp sensor from yhe old mirror to the new mirror a couple days after installing them. Could also be a bad connection behind the door panel.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Hmmmm. So lemme ask ya. Did the ambient air temp start workingg after clearing the light? Also did you turn the key on or anything while the mirror was unplugged. It is possible there is a code stored in the door module or bcm that you cannot get to with the mm3. And the light isnt working just because of the code. Not saying this is it. But it is a possibility. When i put tow mirrors on mine i ended up having to change out the original ambient air temp sensor from yhe old mirror to the new mirror a couple days after installing them. Could also be a bad connection behind the door panel.
    The old mirror was unhooked with the key being cycled on/run yes.

After this The air temp sensor is working on the new mirror along with turn signal and heat.

i think I am going to pull my passenger door panel and unplug the OE mirror and plug in drivers mirror that was not working.

If it lights up then I can probably say the door module needs to be replaced.

i am wondering about a soft code or something though...these computers get PO’d and very finicky

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    The old mirror was unhooked with the key being cycled on/run yes.

After this The air temp sensor is working on the new mirror along with turn signal and heat.

i think I am going to pull my passenger door panel and unplug the OE mirror and plug in drivers mirror that was not working.

If it lights up then I can probably say the door module needs to be replaced.

i am wondering about a soft code or something though...these computers get PO’d and very finicky
    Absolutely they do. See i had a ram come in back when i was a tech complaining that the pass side puddle lamp wouldnt work when they were unfolded but when they was folded in it would work. Retarded i know one heck of a complaint LOL. But it ended up being a bad door module. So very possible thats your issue

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Absolutely they do. See i had a ram come in back when i was a tech complaining that the pass side puddle lamp wouldnt work when they were unfolded but when they was folded in it would work. Retarded i know one heck of a complaint LOL. But it ended up being a bad door module. So very possible thats your issue

Before pulling door panel what do you think of pulling BCM fuse? I was thinking they should kill anything stored in the module

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Before pulling door panel what do you think of pulling BCM fuse? I was thinking they should kill anything stored in the module
    I doubt that will do anything with the way vehicles are now. I would say if you wanted to get the bcm to reset probably try unhooking the batteries and holding the terminals together for a good while. Ide probably tape them together and let it sit half hour or so
    Long enough for everything to reset and for the bcm to forget it seen something it didnt like. If its even the case which hopefully it is. this is the way im thinking about it. You take a car that has a misfire to where the pcm shuts fuel off to the cylinder or does whatever it does. And you fix it start it back up without clearing the code. Its gonna more than likely going to still be skipping because it is still in its fail safe mode. So until you clear the code or reset the pcm and it sees everything is normal then it will act normal again if that makes sense? I guess its just something easy to try and dont have to spend any money LOL.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

LOL i gotcha. I i like it. Might be in the near future.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

LOL i gotcha. I i like it. Might be in the near future.
    Update- Passenger side new mirror does not have puddle light work. It does when I plug OEM mirror back in...I know better than to buy off ebay but they had 5 stars with 238 purchases. I messaged seller to make it right. Overall I think I could live without puddle lights BUT now I am wondering if I could get my AMP step lights to kick on as my puddle lights....that would be slick since they are way brighter

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Update- Passenger side new mirror does not have puddle light work. It does when I plug OEM mirror back in...I know better than to buy off ebay but they had 5 stars with 238 purchases. I messaged seller to make it right. Overall I think I could live without puddle lights BUT now I am wondering if I could get my AMP step lights to kick on as my puddle lights....that would be slick since they are way brighter
    Ahhh. Yeah i would just do that for sure. The little light on the mirror wont be nothin compared to that LOL

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread but did you ever resolve the puddle light issue?
    I replaced my puddle lights with Morimoto and they have worked great for over a year but now the passenger side has stopped working. I know the light is good. I put a test light on the wiring and have no power to the light. Drivers side works great.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

11. Likes Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast