Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: EFI Live Issues on new to me 2012 6.7

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question EFI Live Issues on new to me 2012 6.7

Ok.... So I bought a 2012 6.7, G56, 4WD with 64K miles. Bought it from a used dealer out of Texas and shipped it back to me in GA. It was communicated to have been fully deleted and tuned with EFI Live. (No info as far as 1 or 5 tunes or what tune/tunes it was supposed to be)

So I get it, and things do not add up. It does have a "5 position" switch in the cab that is supposed to be used for switching between tunes. There is not an aftermarket display to show engine parameters, but there is an EGT and Boost gauge on A pillar. These were actually not working when I received the truck, I have since found and resolved the power wiring that was purposely disconnected behind the center dash area. So I now have a way to monitor EGT and Boost. The "5 position" switch confuses me, because I followed the wiring (3 wires) from the back of the switch to a connector at the top rear drivers side of the valve cover. I thought this was supposed to go onto the OBD II port. Less than 60 miles on the clock since I got it, and check engine light came on. I grabbed my handy code reader, codes are P040D and P051B. P040D is EGR related and P051B is for Crankcase Pressure. In addition, the "5 position" switch does not make any change in the truck's performance no matter what position it is in.

Here are my questions:
    1. Is the "5 position" switch supposed to be connected to this connector in the engine bay?
    2. The current MIL codes (P040D & P051B), am I right in thinking these should not exist if it has been tuned for the delete?
    3. Anyone know of a shop in GA that is well versed in EFI Live for 6.7 cummins?
    4. Minimum.... would a new single EFI Live tune installed ontop of what ever is in my truck solve the Check Engine codes?
    5. Better....can a different tuner (MM3, EZ Lynk, Mini Maxx) be installed over the existing tune without consequences of incompatibility?

Any and All help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chad

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EFI Live Issues on new to me 2012 6.7

If it was us we would just purchase a new tuner and start over!

You're chasing a lot of problems friend.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

So just to clarify..... going with a new/different tuner....

1. Will a new/different tuner simply over-write what is in the trucks computer and no risk of new MM3/EZ Lynk/Mini Maxx and old EFI LIve tune not playing nice together?

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chadsMopar1 View Post
    So just to clarify..... going with a new/different tuner....

1. Will a new/different tuner simply over-write what is in the trucks computer and no risk of new MM3/EZ Lynk/Mini Maxx and old EFI LIve tune not playing nice together?
    Yes, it will.

The only issue you might have is needing a stock file which your tuner would get for you.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The CPS5 switch should go to a small connector not too far from the switch that has a single little light bulb- it may actually be on the switch housing. When you turn the switch it will make the little light flash- 1 time for setting 1- 2 times for setting 2 etc. On my 3rd gen it did plug into the OBDII. It sounds almost like the dealer got the truck tuned...maybe did some recall/update flashes and it has now gone back to stock and needs to be re flashed with the EFI tuning which would explain your codes.

I would call the dealer and ask if they serviced and performed any recalls and for any further information. I would imagine there is some kind or warranty for really buying a truck physically sight unseen?

Do the wires going to valve cover plug into anything?

Yes you could get new tuning - I would be irritated just for the fact of you did not get what you paid for which is a tuned truck

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks Texneck for the reply....

There were plenty of pictures that I based my decision to buy the truck. That said, I doubt i will do that again. The perks of the truck being deleted and tuned were not actually listed in the sales description on the Dealer's website, but....I had conversations with the Sales person prior to purchase where he disclosed that the truck was in fact deleted and EFI Live tuned with a 5 position switch for adjusting between tunes.

There is no official warranty or grace period provided by the dealer... but I have reached out to them and they are willing to pay for a "cheap" diagnostic to determine the issue causing the MIL. I have not found anyone close by that is an EFI Live expert. Seems like most have gone on to other tuners as their choice for support.

The existing 3 wires that originates at the little circuit board on the back side of the 5 position switch (the circuit board portion is technically behind the dash panel and the knob of the switch is exposed in the cab area), from there the 3 wires route out to the engine bay, and are connected to a connector at the rear drivers side of the valve cover. Yes, it is connected. I am new to 6.7's, so I don't know what that connector is for. No connectors on 12 valve...hehe.

So, thats why I am leaning toward just going with a new tuner so I know for a fact the darn thing has what I know I have put on it. The problem is I just wasn't planning to invest in this as I bought the truck thinking it was already done and paid accordingly.

Thanks again.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Understood about the buy and not saying it was a bad thing. What I am getting at is if you had test driven the truck or were local for them and had all these codes it would likely be a bit different story.

Looking at the CPS5 it looks like is should hook up with a pass through OBDII so I am not sure where on the valve cover it plugs in.

If you want to stick with EFI Live I would go with a reputable tuner PPEI or something- You can load/flash your truck yourself and save the bill from the local shop. I don't have experience with them but read reviews.

Several people on here are tuned by Double R Diesel out of NC with MM3 tuning and Smarty Touch monitor. His tuning is great and customer service is unparalleled. For the money I would look at going this route as there is a lot of support from him and us here if you have issues. Programming with MM3 will be about $1,000-$1,500 which isn't really cheap but comparable to EFI tuning.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

10-4....yup. Double R sounds great. Just a big pill to swallow.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Understood about the buy and not saying it was a bad thing. What I am getting at is if you had test driven the truck or were local for them and had all these codes it would likely be a bit different story.

Looking at the CPS5 it looks like is should hook up with a pass through OBDII so I am not sure where on the valve cover it plugs in.

If you want to stick with EFI Live I would go with a reputable tuner PPEI or something- You can load/flash your truck yourself and save the bill from the local shop. I don't have experience with them but read reviews.

Several people on here are tuned by Double R Diesel out of NC with MM3 tuning and Smarty Touch monitor. His tuning is great and customer service is unparalleled. For the money I would look at going this route as there is a lot of support from him and us here if you have issues. Programming with MM3 will be about $1,000-$1,500 which isn't really cheap but comparable to EFI tuning.
    The only and best way to go is the MM3 tuner and tuning from Ray at DRD he is and he is the best tuning platform hands down best in the buisnes

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs