Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on these turbo replacements.

1. Top Of Page | #1

Opinions on these turbo replacements.

Hey y'all, my names Nate. This is my first post and im excited to be on a positive forum that seems to give a ton of help.

First off, my situation is that my stock VGT holset turbo has gone bad. The truck is a deleted 2011 6.7 with 120k miles. It has a H&M system in the glove box that I have not yet plugged in.

I've been searching all over forums and google looking for answers but they're leaving me super scattered.

I dont mind losing the exhaust brake and id like to stay as close to stock as I can in hopes to try and slow down any other mechanical problems I.e tranny.

My truck is a welding rig so it constantly carries maybe tops 6k worth of tools and outside of that is a truck I travel in or drive around town.

Ive looked into 2nd gen swaps but I havent leaned on that idea as much as I've entertained just getting a turbo to drop in and get me back to moving for a decent price.

With that being said the High tech turbo s300 replacement has been suggested. Where you can keep practically all of your parts, add a turbo and tune and be good to go.

Has anyone on here had any experience with this turbo or this idea? Better companies or parts?

Sorry if this is too much or too little information and please let me know if I miss anything.

Thanks a ton for looking.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Opinions on these turbo replacements.

Welcome!!

You did good to get 120k out of your stock turbo. I hope I can get that kind of milage out of mine. Fleece makes a direct bolt in replacement that I really like, but I need to keep my exhaust brake for pulling the camper.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Better off to get a second gen swap. I did an Aurora 5000 on my 09 with a 3rd gen manifold but I wish I had done a s467 with a second gen . They run so much cooler

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Welcome! There is another recent Thread: Turbo and exhaust manifold replacement - that covers what you are talking about I have a post in there I am just going to repost below - should have your basis covered for now. Like you said a lot of good info in here search and ask away!

What is your hp goal for the truck?

My .02 after thinking and researching a lot. Most of us buy a Cummins for the reliability. VGT turbos are going to go bad at some point. Fixed geometry turbos have very little issues if going with a decent brand.

option 1- buy used stock VGT charger - they can be had for about $500-800. There are some posted in the sale section of this forum. This is the cheapest. Same issues will occur.

option 2- second gen swap- this is popular for the reasons mentioned before. Rays video is here 550hp setup from adding turbo and manifold on stock fuel- great info. This same setup he hit over 700 hp by adding fuel- head studs recommended but back pressure is consistently 1:1 so 30lbs + of boost can be ran without worrying like a VGT housing. Negative here- no exhaust brake

Youtube - 2017 DRD 2nd gen swap - this video he drives it on the road and discusses the benefits

kit on his truck here

https://www.xtremediesel.com/hs-moto...sx-e-turbo-kit

Clayton with Dudes Diesel Performance (vendor) will hook you up with a kit like this that has all needed

option 3 compounds - Compounds are great if you are at high altitude or tow heavy frequently. Negative to these are you still have VGT charger and you now have another charger and other parts for failure . You also will need to tweak ac components to make room in the engine bay - VGT chargers don’t flow well so head studs should be installed due to added back pressure regardless

option 4- cheetah - drop in charger- more performance relative to stock but head studs definitely needed and to watch EGTs. VGT will fail at some point. Pro for this is little more power and keep exhaust brake

I will be going with a 2nd gen swap s467 at some point- displacement with these motors spool that turbo like stock- drive pressure is great and EGTs are not an issue at all. 2nd gen swap really is not hard with the kit...they fit really nicely and can be done with basic mechanical knowledge in a half days worth of work or full day taking it easy

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

Thanks a ton for the replies and directing me to other useful links.

At the moment I am searching 2nd gen swaps. Although one of my dilemmas is where the truck is currently stored I don't have a ton of time to put into the labor side (wife works at a college and we get a free house - perfect for my constant traveling) This may seem ridiculous but it leaves people on my back and conflicts with working on the truck. Ive also talked to one of the few shops here in western NC and they want a crazy amount to do any work.

I am not new to working on my own vehicles but I weary due to it being a northern truck and having some surface rust.

Today I plugged in my H@S mini maxx tuner to the truck and go nothing at all happening. Then plugged it into my computer and got constant beeping and flashing.

Thats a little off topic but leaves me thinking I have to get a new tuner which is another decent sized expense although still doesn't seem as bad as the shop charging me 4k to install a replacement turbo.

I'm used to seeing sizes like 64.5/.90 for other replacement turbos. What is a good size for this truck to stay out of a highly modded size? Again with me trying to stay near stock.

And any recommendations for a new tuner after j complete a turbo replacement.

Thank you!

8. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

to the forum @Natebrody11

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Tuner would be a decent chunk.

No way would I consider paying 4k unless that includes all parts and labor with SXE cgharger. $1500 in labor is still crazy. It is a 4-8 hour job tops.

Video below is Ray on stock fuel with 2nd gen swap and S369 turbo- the displacement of the 6.7 is much more than prior 5.9s so you can get away with a larger charger and have it spool like stock. 68RFE you can do S467 - G56 S469 since you can keep it in the RPM band a bit more

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Top Of Page | #8

Thanks Jim! Happy to be here.

11. Top Of Page | #9

That's kind of what I thought too. That was with a replacement holset put in the truck. Although the turbo is 2700 of that I keep seeing the cons to that route. I'm watching the video now and thank you for advise. I'm ready to pay but I want to get the right set up and id like to try and do it myself to save some cost. And I'll look at the s467 turbo set up also.

12. Top Of Page | #10

That's a huge help I really appreciate it. Do you havr any insight on a replacement tuner for this set up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast