Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil smell post cold start

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Oil smell post cold start

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
    Anyone.....would that be normal oil pressure for a cold engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can’t speak for sure in those air temps, but mine will be 47-48 on cold start at 30-40 degrees with 15/40 oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Sounds about right!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post
    I can’t speak for sure in those air temps, but mine will be 47-48 on cold start at 30-40 degrees with 15/40 oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Im the same pressure with 5w/40

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

food for thought.

I have noticed on a few 6.7's when it is cold and it takes forever to warm the truck, you will get smells from the exhaust or if someone is deleted with a modified CCV system.
    now if you are a person that is newer to owning a Cummins, this exhaust smell could be what you are smelling. I would say plug in your truck at those temps, drive truck moderate when its that cold until you are up to operating temp. check for leaks of course, (this should be a normal thing)
    put your vent on circulation.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Oil smell post cold start

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    food for thought.

I have noticed on a few 6.7's when it is cold and it takes forever to warm the truck, you will get smells from the exhaust or if someone is deleted with a modified CCV system.
    now if you are a person that is newer to owning a Cummins, this exhaust smell could be what you are smelling. I would say plug in your truck at those temps, drive truck moderate when its that cold until you are up to operating temp. check for leaks of course, (this should be a normal thing)
    put your vent on circulation.
    Thanks for everyone’s input I SUPER appreciate it!!! I’ve not smelled the “fresh oil” since that night so I am chalking it up to a weird unexplained occurrence. My oil level is good, from what I am told, the PSI is good at both cold and warm status and I can’t see any leaks.

As for the exhaust smell, there is a definite difference than the fresh oil smell I had the other day...at lest with my truck. When cold, it blows a thick almost “smoky” white exhaust that smells for lack of a better word “caustic” and can burn the eyes if exposed to it. It only gets like this though when the temperature really drops....high -20’s to low -40’s range. Outside of that, the truck is cold but there is no real “smoke” billowing out.

I usually do plug it in when the temp get to -25 or worse but sometimes the electrical posts where I work are not always on or they have tripped a breaker somewhere.

What does the vent on circulation do? I’ve never hear if that. Usually I crank the heat and put it in the windshield to assist with clearing the ice. I also turn off the radio to help the batteries a little...one less draw in my mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

The smoke is normal at first start for a deleted truck when the temps are that cold until it warms up.
    The recirculating keeps outside fresh air from being pulled in.
    Yes you will get a weird smell but that’s what diesels smell like that are deleted. That’s the way they use to smell back in the day before all this EPA crap was installed. It will also sometimes have an oil burning smell that your probably smelling.
    I agree though just keep a lookout for an oil leak to make sure that’s not the culprit. Also check to make sure you don’t have any leaks in your exhaust that could be creeping up into your cab.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Likes david3gen, Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12