Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil smell post cold start

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil smell post cold start

Not sure if I am paranoid or not but I just started my truck to go home after work in the middle of a -30 below cold snap. It started OK, a little grumpy, but fired up.

At first, it showed an icon where the coil is on the dash that looked like a turbo with arrows below it for about 15 seconds then disappeared. I let it warm up to about 100 degrees - Best it will ever do at -30 then drove slowly about 2 miles to the hwy.

On the way, while driving, I could smell what I thought was a slight hint of fresh engine oil through what I assume is the vent. I stopped at the store on the way home (about 30km from work) to get something. When I came out, I could smell fresh oil again while standing outside my truck. Is this something to be concerned about?

It ran fine, heated up as normal, had lots of power and was showing 232 KPA of oil pressure at idle and about 350ish while driving.

Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

2. Likes watersupply189, BERT liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Oil smell post cold start

What weight oil ya running ?
    Oil level ok ?
    There shouldn't have an odor unless there's a leak, .
    Any sign of a leak in the engine compartment ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Oil level ok ?
    5:30 weight

Oil level seemed OK but I wanted to check it again after the engine cools

No signs of a leak in the engine but it was VERY dark and hard to see. Nothing underneath

Plus, from what I can tell, the oil pressure is good

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
    Not sure if I am paranoid or not but I just started my truck to go home after work in the middle of a -30 below cold snap. It started OK, a little grumpy, but fired up.

At first, it showed an icon where the coil is on the dash that looked like a turbo with arrows below it for about 15 seconds then disappeared. I let it warm up to about 100 degrees - Best it will ever do at -30 then drove slowly about 2 miles to the hwy.

On the way, while driving, I could smell what I thought was a slight hint of fresh engine oil through what I assume is the vent. I stopped at the store on the way home (about 30km from work) to get something. When I came out, I could smell fresh oil again while standing outside my truck. Is this something to be concerned about?

It ran fine, heated up as normal, had lots of power and was showing 232 KPA of oil pressure at idle and about 350ish while driving.

Thanks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Oil level ok ?
    Check around the oil filter. Sometimes the high oil pressure pushes out the oil filter adapter gasket or if the filter isn't tight enough, past that gasket. It's right under the exhaust manifold. . . .

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Check around the oil filter. Sometimes the high oil pressure pushes out the oil filter adapter gasket or if the filter isn't tight enough, past that gasket. It's right under the exhaust manifold. . . .
    Thanks, I’ll do that as soon as I am off work and at my garage. In the meantime, what KPA or PSI should I have? I’m about 370 KPA while driving and about 220 KPA at idle

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks, I’ll do that as soon as I am off work and at my garage. In the meantime, what KPA or PSI should I have? I’m about 370 KPA while driving and about 220 KPA at idle

That's about right hot. What is it when it's cold? That's when it's a problem.

If you punch it when it's cold, the cold oil is thicker and will pump up twice that. That's when the gaskets get damaged

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    That's about right hot. What is it when it's cold? That's when it's a problem.

If you punch it when it's cold, the cold oil is thicker and will pump up twice that. That's when the gaskets get damaged
    I’ll have to check tomorrow but I think it’s about 220kpa

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I’ll have to check tomorrow but I think it’s about 220kpa

Look on top by the valve cover. Just thought the cover may be leaking

I think leaking oil coolers aren't uncommon either

16. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

OK, sorry, it’s been really busy!!!

Cold start.....by the time I got out to it, about 5 min, the engine was at was 52 degrees F and my EVIC gauge read 51 psi or about 352KPA of oil pressure.

She was smoking up the entire lot though as it’s -30 today!!!

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Anyone.....would that be normal oil pressure for a cold engine?

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast