Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 2006 dodge 2500 auto transmission dies

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2006 dodge 2500 auto transmission dies

Need help. Truck idles fine but as soon as I put into gear it dies drive or reverse. Can get it to move if I gas it a bit when I'm shifting but when driving it has a high idle and feels like no power until it gets up over 35mph.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2006 dodge 2500 auto transmission dies

Side note I did pull a P0483 code from it. Anyone ever heard of a fan clutch causing the truck to die when placed into gear? Only code I was able to pull

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Van Epps View Post
    Side note I did pull a P0483 code from it. Anyone ever heard of a fan clutch causing the truck to die when placed into gear? Only code I was able to pull
    did you ever figure it out? fan clutch can cause some major problems. it was throwing mine into limp mode. it happened to be bad about the same time as something else though which caused a lot of my issue eg. dying when I moved it and it wouldn't stay running unless at speeds. I got bad diesel when we had a hurricane and I was having to use 5 gallon jugs for fuel because I was at work for a week and a half straight traveling between stations. mine ended up being the FCA. I just replaced my CP3 because I was doing fuel upgrades anyway and I called and asked them about it after the fact and was told the fica was more than likely the culprit.

04 3500 SRW 4x4. 4.5" icon stage 5 w/ full progressive rear leaf and 2.5 shocks, 20x9 procomp alloys, 37x13.50R20 Baja boss A/T, synergy steering, ARP headstuds, flopro 4” stainless, coolant bypass, oil bypass, smarty touch w/ custom tuning, fleece powerflo 750 CP3, fleece 2nd gen swap w/ AFE stainless manifold and s463, II 100hp injectors, AFE intercooler, pusher mega Intake with cross-air and mega tubes, fass titanium 165, Precision 48RE w/ billet upgrades and valve body, DPC 1800 stall billet triple disc, talon custom front/rear driveshafts, 4.11 gears. Fab fours black steel bumpers ~20 hwy ~17 city

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Mine turned out to be the torque converter. I only owned the truck for 3months before this happened nad had paperwork that the transmission was built but for some reason they did not replace the torque converter???

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

a lot of shops shortcut and do dumb stuff like that. might as well build it all while you're in there. mine has a built trans. now you got me thinking my converter could have went out, but I think it would've shown some symptoms a little sooner than now. it was rebuilt in November of 2017, I did it with PDD 650 kit and have had no issues. I'm a firefighter so I parked it just before 8 am on Monday, started it up at about 830 am on Tuesday and it idled just like normal, put it in gear and it died. I started it back up and it jumped and acted like it was going to die. I put it back in park and it idled for 5-10 more minutes while I loaded my stuff. acted like it was going to die again when I went to move it, once I got it rolling it was ok but no overdrive. it was perfectly fine the day before and i haven't had any issues with it until now. and it just happened when I started it up. also throwing p0483 code as well as p0868 and p0712. but I know my fan clutch is fine. I replaced it last year and I can hear it. my solus scanner showed it having the correct rpm correlation too. ive got a friend of mine checking the electrical stuff he's good he's just slow and not as automotive savvy on the newer stuff. I just want my truck back I can't take my boat out, can't do anything.

just for fun... I have seen where some shops put basic cheap single disc converters in Allison transmissions and they seem ok until you load them..... then they won't pull worth a damn. and my 93 w350 I have was rebuilt literally a month before I got it. the old man told me he was trying to trade it in and they wouldn't give him but 1200$ so I said ill give you 3k. wouldn't even pull itself up on my lift. took the trans out and it had a car converter in it. a really good friend of my grandpas was a transmission master and helped me build my w350 and my current truck. unfortunately he recently passed. thank god I spent as much time with him as I did learning what little I could in that time. he was a genius.

04 3500 SRW 4x4. 4.5" icon stage 5 w/ full progressive rear leaf and 2.5 shocks, 20x9 procomp alloys, 37x13.50R20 Baja boss A/T, synergy steering, ARP headstuds, flopro 4” stainless, coolant bypass, oil bypass, smarty touch w/ custom tuning, fleece powerflo 750 CP3, fleece 2nd gen swap w/ AFE stainless manifold and s463, II 100hp injectors, AFE intercooler, pusher mega Intake with cross-air and mega tubes, fass titanium 165, Precision 48RE w/ billet upgrades and valve body, DPC 1800 stall billet triple disc, talon custom front/rear driveshafts, 4.11 gears. Fab fours black steel bumpers ~20 hwy ~17 city

6. Likes Mitch Van Epps, TH-64 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

that is exactly what mine did!!! i found out that if i put it in neutral and it was rolling a bit i could drop in gear and drive it "that's how i got it home" but if i stopped at all it would die again and had to do the song and dance all over again to get moving. But yes it would idle perfect in park or neutral but as soon as i put in gear it would die. new converter and have not had an issue since.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloCummins04 View Post
    a lot of shops shortcut and do dumb stuff like that. might as well build it all while you're in there. mine has a built trans. now you got me thinking my converter could have went out, but I think it would've shown some symptoms a little sooner than now. it was rebuilt in November of 2017, I did it with PDD 650 kit and have had no issues. I'm a firefighter so I parked it just before 8 am on Monday, started it up at about 830 am on Tuesday and it idled just like normal, put it in gear and it died. I started it back up and it jumped and acted like it was going to die. I put it back in park and it idled for 5-10 more minutes while I loaded my stuff. acted like it was going to die again when I went to move it, once I got it rolling it was ok but no overdrive. it was perfectly fine the day before and i haven't had any issues with it until now. and it just happened when I started it up. also throwing p0483 code as well as p0868 and p0712. but I know my fan clutch is fine. I replaced it last year and I can hear it. my solus scanner showed it having the correct rpm correlation too. ive got a friend of mine checking the electrical stuff he's good he's just slow and not as automotive savvy on the newer stuff. I just want my truck back I can't take my boat out, can't do anything.

just for fun... I have seen where some shops put basic cheap single disc converters in Allison transmissions and they seem ok until you load them..... then they won't pull worth a damn. and my 93 w350 I have was rebuilt literally a month before I got it. the old man told me he was trying to trade it in and they wouldn't give him but 1200$ so I said ill give you 3k. wouldn't even pull itself up on my lift. took the trans out and it had a car converter in it. a really good friend of my grandpas was a transmission master and helped me build my w350 and my current truck. unfortunately he recently passed. thank god I spent as much time with him as I did learning what little I could in that time. he was a genius.

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

uh oh..... means I might be looking at rebuilding the trans not just the transducer kit.... I'm at work today going to do some more diagnosing tomorrow. I want to drop the pan and see what the trans looks like before the decision is 175$ or 2175$

the only thing that makes me think its more than likely not the converter and its a sensor in the trans is that there was never a warning. truck was parked overnight. started the next morning when I went to move it. im hoping it just a sensor LOL