Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Headlight Issues

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 Headlight Issues

I had a 2012 SLT 3500 with the projector beams and the separate high & low beam bulbs. Great headlights, but that truck got totaled and my new, to me, 2012 is a lower model and only has the single bulb headlights that IMO only a small step better than candles. I can't go HID where I live because they are cracking down and ticketing people that put HID's in non HID reflectors because of the lack of proper focus.
    What are the options for decent headlights. Go to a wrecker and get a dual bulb reflector? I would imagine that is very expensive, and would the CANBUS have to be reprogrammed to go to dual bulb reflectors? Are there decent LED"S that will work in a single bulb reflector and with the damn CANBUS computer? Comments and observations would be appreciated, specially from anyone who had the same issue and now has acceptable headlights. Thanks in advance!

2. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 Headlight Issues

I found that LEDs don't work in a projector housing... light output is terrible. They are great in the high beams though. So then I put HIDs in the fogs and and wired them for on with the key... they are my drl's now.
    LOL. I can see fine now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have LEDs in my non projector headlights. Havent had any issues at all. Light output is great. They are jdm astar bulbs. But if you get decent led bulbs that are made to work with the canbus system your fine. If you get 30$ Chijumifu (chinese b bulbs your more than likely going to have issues. Just my take

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    I had a 2012 SLT 3500 with the projector beams and the separate high & low beam bulbs. Great headlights, but that truck got totaled and my new, to me, 2012 is a lower model and only has the single bulb headlights that IMO only a small step better than candles. I can't go HID where I live because they are cracking down and ticketing people that put HID's in non HID reflectors because of the lack of proper focus.
    What are the options for decent headlights. Go to a wrecker and get a dual bulb reflector? I would imagine that is very expensive, and would the CANBUS have to be reprogrammed to go to dual bulb reflectors? Are there decent LED"S that will work in a single bulb reflector and with the damn CANBUS computer? Comments and observations would be appreciated, specially from anyone who had the same issue and now has acceptable headlights. Thanks in advance!
    There are brighter bulbs for that. I agree the OE stink. One of the few times I would say go to AutoZone and take a look. They really are brighter. They're not HID or LED, but they are much better.

Changing the reflector won't do anything. The optics are a science in itself.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Check out Supernova V4 headlight LED bulbs from headlight revolution they are legit the best dang bulbs out there for our trucks

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Thanks ywgbandit, Rob See thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Look at the sectiin about "HIDs the legal way" I added to the newbie guide. You will have a focused beam like factory with a cut off line exactly to the hieght you set. Never had an issue with mine, even drove up to a police barricade for work and nothing mention, no on coming light flashing back as warnings. See the pics and videos and you will be able to say it's factory bc the cut off is so good. It's cheap, but 100% you need to buy the morimoto harness I linked, it's great and has the ballasts and only requires the Amazon projectors and bulbs which will save you hundreds, I like nked those as well. Anything else will not work as well and be legal including over-powered LEDs.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

12. Thanks ywgbandit thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, ywgbandit liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Best thing to do is retro fit them your self. If you google ram headlight projection retrofits tons of options pop up.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Check out Supernova V4 headlight LED bulbs from headlight revolution they are legit the best dang bulbs out there for our trucks

X2. I went this route for low beam, high beam and fogs... A lot better than stock - really amazing. The light is much more white and the light is where you need it. I felt the stock lights were pretty poor considering what these trucks cost. A little spendy for all three sets but I would highly recommend at least doing the low beams.

Attached Images Attached Images

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PWRWAGN View Post
    X2. I went this route for low beam, high beam and fogs... A lot better than stock - really amazing. The light is much more white and the light is where you need it. I felt the stock lights were pretty poor considering what these trucks cost. A little spendy for all three sets but I would highly recommend at least doing the low beams.
    Are you running canBUS adapters with these LED’s? I’ve tried LED’s before with the adapters and lights would only work half the time. I have HID’s in both my headlights and fogs with zero problems with the headlights going on two years now but my fog lights are giving me a fit staying on. I’ve replaced the ballast three times and the canBUS adapters but it only lights up when it wants too. Are these LED’s working correctly in your truck?
    If so I may give them a try.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

18. Likes david3gen liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Are you running canBUS adapters with these LED’s? I’ve tried LED’s before with the adapters and lights would only work half the time. I have HID’s in both my headlights and fogs with zero problems with the headlights going on two years now but my fog lights are giving me a fit staying on. I’ve replaced the ballast three times and the canBUS adapters but it only lights up when it wants too. Are these LED’s working correctly in your truck?
    If so I may give them a try.
    The V4s and the rest came with the PWM modules that are meant to prevent any problems. Ive only had them installed for a couple weeks but no problems so far at all. Very happy. I considered going HID but after doing some research I went with these LEDs and Im glad I did. I don't know if the 2016 is different but they came with everything I needed to install. Had to drill holes in my high beam dust caps but they came with grommets so its really easy. I think it took me about 2 hours total and thats with removing the grille etc. Pretty much plug and play.

2018 Mega 6" BDS lift, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Fusion bumpers, few other things

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast