Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: 2015 Ram 2500 5th Wheel or Gooseneck Towing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2015 Ram 2500 5th Wheel or Gooseneck Towing

So I've been doing a lot of research and am finding that my new to me tow rig is unable to tow the things I bought it to tow, if you follow the rule of the law. So apparently I didn't do my homework as I usually do before buying a vehicle. I looked at the tow rating of the 2500 and saw the 17k lb and was like yep that'll cover me. (This is only for Conventional towing) What I didn't realize due to not researching this part of it was that pulling a 5th wheel or goose-neck is rated on your Payload of the vehicle (2k lbs) per my Big Horn edition. I have the Hellwig 5600 Bags already installed when I bought it along with a goose-neck installed, so I know that the previous owner towed with this truck, just don't know how much. So I'm only looking at an available 1500 lb Pin weight to stay legal, so no heavy towing for me... Why for the love of God would Ram undercut its buyers like this?

Someone Please give me some insight to all this...

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2015 Ram 2500 5th Wheel or Gooseneck Towing

The 2500's with the coil spring rear suspension is marketed towards buyers that don't tow carry extremely heavy payload and want a better ride than what leaf springs can provide.
    If you want to tow heavy 5ers you need a 3500 with the leaf spring suspension. They have significantly higher weight carrying capacity.

They are not undercutting their buyers, they are providing options.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Are you sure you've got the right data?
    https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
    Are you sure you've got the right data?
    https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf
    These are the specs for my truck. This is for the Base model.

CREW CAB SHORT BOX 4X4
    Base Weight GAWR
    Engine Transmission Axle Ratio GVWR Payload Total Front Rear Front Rear GCWR Max. TrailerWeight Rating
    6.7L CUMMINS DIESEL A6 68RFE 3.42 10,000 2,360 7,640 4,724 2,916 5,750 6,000 25,300 17,180

This is what note 9 states, this is the note that i did not read during my research.
    9. For gooseneck and fifth wheel trailers, the tongue weight should never exceed any of the manufacturer recommendations including but not limited to payload and GAWR.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Chevy and ford are the same way on the 3/4 ton trucks. The reason they keep the GVWR under 10,001 lbs so we don’t have to follow all of the commercial DOT rules. If you stay under your axle rating, tire ratings and GCWR you won’t be overloading the truck. I have heard that if you are in an accident being over 10,000 you can get you in trouble, but have never heard of it actually happening.

10. Likes watersupply189, wylbur78 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have nearly the same rig as yours, 2015 2500 with the mega cab. Per manufacturers specs, rear axle is rated for 6500 lbs. Unloaded weight on the rear axle is 3k lb from the factory, which leaves 3500 lbs for the axle. I have a 41' 5'er with a loaded pin weight of 2500 lbs. I added airlift 5k bags to help with stability and ride height when towing, which I love by the way. So putting numbers together, when I am hooked up, axle rated for 6500 lbs, minus factory rear end weight of 3000 lbs, and trailer pin weight of 2500 lbs, I am 1000 lbs under the axle rating. As mentioned before, the coil springs are the only part lowering the cargo hauling weight rating so a better ride quality is achieved.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post