Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cross country fuel issues!!!!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

cross country fuel issues!!!!!!

hey everyone, im currently going across country (starting in maine now in tennessee and destination being california). im hauling Roughly 5k between bed weight and trailer. truck is a 97 2500 cummins 5spd with 186k. only modifications are air intake and the industrial injection 300hp injectors. last night when i took the off ramp to my hotel for the night i put it in neutral as i was coming to a stop and she died on me, i put it in 4th let out the clutch and she came back on but was idling very low about half the rpm as whats normal. i parked it and got some sleep and this morning i went out to start it and had the same issue of low idle. when i try to rev it she gets to maybe 1800 rpm and dies out. i just replaced the fuel filter when i did the oil change the day before i left so i made sure the filter housing was tight and primed it again just to be sure there was no air in it but had the same issue as before with the idle and see no leaks when i prime it with everything tight (not sure if this is a good check, still learning my way with a diesel) i dont have a pressure gauge installed but i dont think theres any doubt i have a pressure problem. also ill note that everything was going great the whole trip so far right up to the point where i hit the off ramp. from my limited research this morning im thinking its my fuel check valve. im seing most having to replace it at around the 300k mark so 185k is a bit premature for a failure but its not like it cant happen. im going to try and get my hands on one once local napa opens up ( i know not the best source but when stranded you gotta do what ya gotta do LOL). my question is am i on the right track and what else should i check out and can do in a motel parking lot. i have the tools i need and mechanical aptitude do most anything. thank you for your future response!

2. Likes david3gen, Jaxonsram, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: cross country fuel issues!!!!!!

do you know the fuel pressure going into the P-Pump? is it possible the lift pump is flowing less than it should?

Also NAPA, I feel is more knowledgable than crapvance or auto zone.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

4. Likes AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

When priming does the plunger get hard to push? You could pinch off the rubber return line behind the filter and see if that helps, If so then start with the relief valve, If not then you need to get the pressure tested to see if the lift pump is worn out

6. Likes AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I’m thinking liftpump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by david3gen View Post
    I’m thinking liftpump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    x2

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

well i was able to find a diesel shop close by. guy drove out and cracked some lines open while i cranked it over. he told me what he did and said it was my injection pump guy called around and we are gonna go with an industrial injection rebuild from XDP and since im on the road hes gonna get to it as soon as the part comes in hopefully be back on the road thursday or friday

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

its easy to push. first thing i did was crack the bolt and in 2 pumps fuel was coming out. after that i started it and let it run at its rough idle for a bit hoping it would work out of it. next i dropped the bowl just to be certain the thing was on right (no pinched o ring or not flush cause air in it) but as soon as it was loose enough the parking lot was covered with a lil diesel LOL so i dont think its my lift pump

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Did he test the fuel pressure? A weak lift pump will still have fuel volume but the pressure will be low and cause a rough or no start and loss of power. Primer button should get to the point where it is really hard to push and you should hear the relief valve opening on top of the injection pump. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's very rare for a p7100 pump to go bad.

15. Likes david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    Did he test the fuel pressure? A weak lift pump will still have fuel volume but the pressure will be low and cause a rough or no start and loss of power. Primer button should get to the point where it is really hard to push and you should hear the relief valve opening on top of the injection pump. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's very rare for a p7100 pump to go bad.
    Agreed the P7100 Bosch Injection Pump very rarely ever wears out I had 307,000 plus and it still runs strong however the mechanical lift pump wears out quite a bit

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

17. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

so im assuming then that while priming normally theres no resistance no matter how long i pump it but when i pinch the rubber return line it becomes difficult that my lift pump no longer has pressure its bad? i understand that the best way to test is with a gauge but i dont have one and theres no one who can come out and test it. i lost faith in the guy i was working with. if its not the lift pump im *** outa luck and have to ship the vehicle, so as long as this is an indication that its bad i dont mind throwing the money at it without 100% certainty as whats 130 bucks when im looking at 1500 shipping and 1200 for a uhaul for my trailer. thank you!

19. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast