Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Head gasket or air in system

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Head gasket or air in system

My 2012 2500 with 180,000 miles has bubbles and gurgling in the coolant overflow reservoir. I have replaced thermostat, radiator cap, and fan clutch. I parked nose up and “bleed” the air from the system and still get the bubbles. Coolant does not return to radiator and the cap will have pressure on it after sitting overnight. Thoughts?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Head gasket or air in system

Quote Originally Posted by 6xc View Post
    My 2012 2500 with 180,000 miles has bubbles and gurgling in the coolant overflow reservoir. I have replaced thermostat, radiator cap, and fan clutch. I parked nose up and “bleed” the air from the system and still get the bubbles. Coolant does not return to radiator and the cap will have pressure on it after sitting overnight. Thoughts?
    did you check the dip stick for water?
    It definitely sounds like a head gasket. But to be sure, some garages have a test kit to be sure.

How's it running? Is it smooth at idle?

Is the EGR cooler still in place? That can do it too. It's not uncommon.

Typically we ask you give us all the upgrades done on the truck too. It saves time

Welcome!

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    did you check the dip stick for water?
    It definitely sounds like a head gasket. But to be sure, some garages have a test kit to be sure.

How's it running? Is it smooth at idle?

Is the EGR cooler still in place? That can do it too. It's not uncommon.

Typically we ask you give us all the upgrades done on the truck too. It saves time

Welcome!

Thank you. Complete delete, efi live tuner. There does not appear to be water in the oil. It idles fine, no white smoke.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Welcome!!!

I'm sure there are other ways for air to enter the coolant system but a failed head gasket seems to be the most common way on our trucks. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Thanks 6xc thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post