Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  77
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duramax traitor on board.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Duramax traitor on board.

I have always been a dyed in the wool bow tie for life guy. I have made a decision to try a new adventure and buy a new to me 2017 Ram Laramie Mega Cab Tool Box Bed Truck. I have always loved the Cummins engine but I have loved the Allison transmission more. I did not make the move easily it was a hard decision. My Dodge friends have all always told me that if I ever changed over that I would never go back to GM. Here is Dodges chance to win me for life.

Soon as I can figure out how to post pics I’ll include a few photos of my new addition for y’all.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Duramax traitor on board. ?

@Nashvillian!

Thanks for taking the time to join us.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome! I came over from the GM side and like my Ram better. The new trucks especially...GM's offerings are butt ugly IMO.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Welcome friend!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

In my opinion the Allison is a far better option than the 68RFE. I find myself in a Cummins despite the transmission. I just don't really want to drive a 12 year old truck anymore and the new Duramax trucks have that crappy CP4 injection pump. I don't trust that thing to not grenade and take out the entire fuel system in the process.

At least the Cummins still uses the durable CP3 so I don't really need to worry about anything regarding the engine. The trans is a weak link for sure but I can protect that with my right foot and by manually downshifting the transmission for certain conditions.

The transmission shift strategy is much better with the Allison or Ford transmissions as well. This 68RFE makes "decisions" that leave me scratching my head on a regular basis, it doesn't always know what gear it wants to be in and it really annoys me when Im doing 25mph up hill and the trans is still in 5th gear with the converter unlocked. But after a while you learn to drive around it and it becomes habit.

The sad thing is that for the brand new trucks even Cummins is switching to the CP4... big mistake in my book.

Plus the new "Allison" 10 spd transmissions in the next generation GM trucks is not really an Allison, its a GM that was "designed to Allison specs" so only time will tell if its actually as good as the old ones.

But yeah I love my Cummins and also really like the coil spring rear suspension design. It rides decent for an HD truck and there is Zero axle wrap which is a plus.

Let us know what you think once you put some miles on it!

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

glad you came to the light @Nashvillian

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Welcome, hope you enjoy your new Cummins!

14. Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Welcome.
    AJGrubb said exactly what I would have said.

I considered GM this time just for the Allison, but I wanted to order a truck how I wanted it. GM doesn't let you pick and choose options much, its all packages and some items you can't get without accepting some you don't.

Ram, however, will let you pick almost exactly what you want.
    Went with the Aisin transmission this time. Had 68RFE the last time. And the manual before that. Considered the manual again but just got spoiled by the remote start

16. Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Welcome I have always been a chevrolet guy but I always said there is something about a cummins. All my previous trucks were all gas engines and I said I need a diesel to pull my horse trailer. Then I found my cummins and don't regret it at all. I don't have to worry with the weak auto.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast