Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 68RFE temp rising in gear

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE temp rising in gear

Quick question hopefully...stock 68RFE- 35 degrees here in to tonight- was driving home like normal trans temp 165ish empty riding along from 40-70mph.

stopped at drive through which had some traffic. Was sitting in D but stopped most of the time waiting to get to window.

Before pulling out of the lot trans temp climbed to 193 (I haven’t noticed it this high ever)

on way home after a few minutes of driving temps were back down. Should I keep it in park to prevent temps from climbing? Or should they not climb like that?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE temp rising in gear

I've seen my trans temp get that high pulling the camper through stop and go traffic in the summer so the temp itself is not much to worry about. Out of habit I put the truck in park if I have to wait for any length of time so I can't say if what you saw is normal or not.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Quick question hopefully...stock 68RFE- 35 degrees here in to tonight- was driving home like normal trans temp 165ish empty riding along from 40-70mph.

stopped at drive through which had some traffic. Was sitting in D but stopped most of the time waiting to get to window.

Before pulling out of the lot trans temp climbed to 193 (I haven’t noticed it this high ever)

on way home after a few minutes of driving temps were back down. Should I keep it in park to prevent temps from climbing? Or should they not climb like that?
    Mine does it also. So either were both ok or were both fixin to drop some money LOL. Pretty sure it normal tho. I had the same reaction as you first time I saw it LOL

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Haha- I am guessing it’s normal like you said. It seems like anything under 200 is no big deal anything warmer than duration is the factor once 230+

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Keep in mind neutral will always give youmaximum fluid flow thru the cooler, the VBwill not flow as much fluid in park as drive so use neutral for cool downsessions

I thought Iread something in the manual saying to place in N for longer periods

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

When you are in gear and the truck is not moving the torque converter has to sit there and "slip" the whole time. It is designed to do this and is not hurting anything but torque converters acting in this state create heat fast.

Is it normal/ Yes
    Is it hurting anything/ not really

Do I let my truck do it? No. Anything longer than a red light and I put it in park or neutral.

7. Thanks 25-06 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies- I’ll keep this stuff in mind next time I’m sitting

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com