Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 Ram 2500 Brake Upgrade

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 Ram 2500 Brake Upgrade

@f18framer - what would you recommend to spray or lube the sliders?

With my F250: The rubber boots were all but gone - due to the first owner virtually was to lazy to do any maintenance & the boots just rotted away.

I used spray Kroil & it seemed to keep them freed up.

I would have used a type of grease but I didn't want anything that would attract & hold any type of dirt or grit.

Once The OEM pads are worn to the point of replacement - I will experiment with the 1st set of aftermarket pads.

Then the next step will be to replace the rotors along with new pads again.

I am a huge fan of the exhaust brake \ engine brake - and I do use this device when towing.

I truly Believe this device can almost double the life of your pads and rotors if run properly.

When It's time - PowerStop will be the replacement @ all 4 corners! -- Might even look into installing a stainless steel break line kit @ all 4 corners as well...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Don't try to stretch your rotors life too long if you live where the roads get salted.

Mine blew apart at 50,000 mile/6 years. Was not fun with the fifth wheel pushing me down the hill.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post

With my F250: The rubber boots were all but gone - due to the first owner virtually was to lazy to do any maintenance & the boots just rotted away.

I used spray Kroil & it seemed to keep them freed up.

I would have used a type of grease but I didn't want anything that would attract & hold any type of dirt or grit.

Once The OEM pads are worn to the point of replacement - I will experiment with the 1st set of aftermarket pads.

Then the next step will be to replace the rotors along with new pads again.

I am a huge fan of the exhaust brake \ engine brake - and I do use this device when towing.

I truly Believe this device can almost double the life of your pads and rotors if run properly.
    I take my calipers off every 10000 miles or so to clean and lubes them with fresh grease. The rubber boots just pop off so you can clean them out along with the slider bolts. I also take the pads off and clean out the grooves the pads ride in on the caliper brackets with some brake clean and lubes them as well. I use brake system grease for all of this. I found out that no grease actually causes more stuff to collect on them grooves. Mostly brake dust that clumps and hardens in there causing the pads to not slide properly.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

images.jpeg

This is the grease I use.

It works very well and in my experience, it hasn't collected a bunch of dirt to the point of restricting movement.

It also makes the dirt much easier to wipe off rather than having to scrub it all off when I don't use it.

If your pads lasted as long as mine you could be waiting a while.

Mine lasted 6 years before I had to replace them and that was with them getting worn crooked.

I'm sure that if I would have kept them properly lubed so they didn't get locked up they would have lasted even longer.

Also, I have also found that putting anti-seize on the hub between the rotor and hub is a good idea.

My original ones were so frozen on the hubs I had to use a sledgehammer to break them free.

I put a nice film on both the inside of the rotor and on the outside of the hub and I have been able to just give them a firm tug and they come right off.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

8. Likes watersupply189, Mdavlee, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

@f18framer - Thank You for sharing your thoughts and advice!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    In my experience any kind of "dry film lubricant" works well with lubricating and not collecting dirt.

When we were in Iraq we had a big problem with the 50 cal jamming because of the lubricant we used collected the sand.

We went to a dry film and had 0 issues after that, I actually found that liquid wrench makes it for camper slides and it is sold in most Walmarts.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123