Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retracting step under your running boards

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Retracting step under your running boards

My wife is short, and riddled with arthritis like me. She has short legs. In stead of selling my truck now, I came up with this idea and went into production this week. I have about 4 hours into this. It is quite the erector set to assembly. It extends out to just about typical curb height, and drops 6" from the existing board. It's going to have a actuator on it so it can extend and contract electrically. I stressed a bracket form side to side. Pretty solid. If you click on the image, you'll see I put in 2 bars in the front.

This isn't done yet. Tomorrow I'll weld the step on and figure the best way to mount the actuator. Unfortunately, my air compressor and tank are right behind the rocker. I'll be making a brace to go from the board to the inside of the rocker and floor.

DSCN0871.jpg

Anybody who wants one, I can do it for a price. It was pretty simple. For me

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Retracting step under your running boards

Looks like a good idea. On the swivel spots are they going to be okay with outside elements?
    If you haven't seen the product fluid film. It's really good as a water and element abatement.
    A new coating every 6 months.

Hell on your side you may want to rig up some pop up hand rails and one of those old folk
    Crossing signs.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 01-18-2019 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Add
    2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

4. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Awesome solution @Polaraco. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Awesome solution @Polaraco. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    X2: Intrested in seeing how you are going to integrate in the truck for the actuator. I assume it will get a reference from the door ajar switch.
    Cool project can't wait to see it on the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

8. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Look out AMP Research ! I like the diamond plate ALOT! Ill keep an eye for updates!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Look out AMP Research ! I like the diamond plate ALOT! Ill keep an eye for updates!
    Yeah I know about them. They don't make something like this and what they do have is outrageously priced. I honestly haven't looked at them in a while.

I like fabricating this stuff. I have tons of stuff in my garage. Like the actuator I'm using. @F350Cummins can tell you what my shop is like. There's thousands just in hardware. Especially the odd ball stuff.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Looks like a good idea. On the swivel spots are they going to be okay with outside elements?
    If you haven't seen the product fluid film. It's really good as a water and element abatement.

Hell on your side you may want to rig up some pop up hand rails and one of those old folk
    Crossing signs.
    All aluminum with stainless fasteners. I use an industrial silicon grease that just will not wash away. Made by jet lube. I poke a hole in the top of the can and use a acid brush. I use that stuff everywhere. The consistency is heavier than wheel bearing grease

I am going to put a splash shield in front of it to keep the wheel stuff off of it.

14. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post

Crossing signs.
    What the hay! Why not just have the seat come out so she can sit and be lifted! LOL That would be cool wouldn't it?

16. Likes TexNeck, AnOldBiker liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Works like a champ, but it doesn't collapse quite as much as I would like. The actuator is 2" too short. Sigh

It'll work

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0875.jpg

18. Likes Power247, allbizns, AnOldBiker liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

This looks great. Looking forward seeing them mounted on your truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

20. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast