Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Normal crank time

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Normal crank time

Hey all, sorry for the newb question but what is the normal crank time on our trucks? Mine is 2003 dodge 3500 cummins non ho. I have 314k on it with the only mods being a fass fuel pump. My truck cranks for about 2-3 seconds before she starts. I’m thinking that I’m losing prime but I’m not throwing any codes other than p0628 and I think that is due to the fass pump.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Normal crank time

Sounds normal to me for crank time- rail has to build pressure

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Thanks Jrollings thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Agree, that doesn't seem long.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks Jrollings thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas, I was just in my head too much I guess.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jrollings View Post
    Hey all, sorry for the newb question but what is the normal crank time on our trucks? Mine is 2003 dodge 3500 cummins non ho. I have 314k on it with the only mods being a fass fuel pump. My truck cranks for about 2-3 seconds before she starts. I’m thinking that I’m losing prime but I’m not throwing any codes other than p0628 and I think that is due to the fass pump.
    That is about the same as my 03 with 109000 all stock (it still has a muffler)

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You might try to reach out to Fass about That code. I saw somewhere there was a way to trigger the relay so it would clear. I bet they know the correct way to do it

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks Jrollings thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

P0628 – Low Voltage Detected at the Lift Pump
    The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) commands the lift pump on and off and measures the voltage at the pump. When voltage drops out of the expected range, DTC P0628 will set.
    Possible Causes

• Failing lift pump
    • Loose connection
    • Ground circuit open
    • Lift pump shorted to voltage
    • Engine Control Module (ECM) issue

Welcome. I have an 03 3500 also. That code is probably because you did not use the pump circuit in the truck. I did with my FASS and no issues. It's also controlled by the ECM like the original pump. The good thing about wiring it that way is if the pump is failing, the Code will appear.

We love FASS here

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks Jrollings thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post