Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 6.7 24v won't start white smoke

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 6.7 24v won't start white smoke

2012 ram 2500 6.7 24v egr delete 5" turbo back exhaust tuned I recently dropped three injectors went in an replaced the three after completing went in with snapon tool to key in injector values once done I could not start all truck does is puff white/gray smoke almost like a injector is hung open an blowing tons of fuel out the exhaust pipe now I know I shouldn't have done this but used some starting fluid just to get it to kick over once it did the fuel an stuff outa exhaust got alot worse as well as smoke I had the fire department stop by the shop I just need help to solve or any advice please

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 6.7 24v won't start white smoke

Did you replace the tubes on the new injectors?
    Not sure about the starting fluid. As far as air in the system how much priming did you do. The exhaust was raw fuel smell. Was it wet? So it started out white and grey the longer you cranked. Turned black after the starting fluid We're you able to monitor what your rail pressure was during this. Plenty of juice in the battery?

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 01-18-2019 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Correct
    2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rudabega View Post
    2012 ram 2500 6.7 24v egr delete 5" turbo back exhaust tuned I recently dropped three injectors went in an replaced the three after completing went in with snapon tool to key in injector values once done I could not start all truck does is puff white/gray smoke almost like a injector is hung open an blowing tons of fuel out the exhaust pipe now I know I shouldn't have done this but used some starting fluid just to get it to kick over once it did the fuel an stuff outa exhaust got alot worse as well as smoke I had the fire department stop by the shop I just need help to solve or any advice please
    You have a leak. Rail pressure is low. I just posted a installation guide on the injectors in the How to section. Take a read of one of my tips.

I had that happen to me on my 08. Turned out my helper cross threaded one of the tube retainer nuts. (ALEX!!!)

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You have a leak. Rail pressure is low. I just posted a installation guide on the injectors in the How to section. Take a read of one of my tips.

I had that happen to me on my 08. Turned out my helper cross threaded one of the tube retainer nuts. (ALEX!!!)
    Yes what he said. Was thinking a leak as well.
    Really easy to cross thread or bugger up with dirt if not super clean.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rudabega View Post
    A good alternative to starting fluid when trying to get a diesel to start is silicone spray. Just so you dont fsu LOL. Least that's what I was told by a diesel tech so that's what I've done

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    A good alternative to starting fluid when trying to get a diesel to start is silicone spray. Just so you dont fsu LOL. Least that's what I was told by a diesel tech so that's what I've done
    NOooooooo! Not with the grid heater.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    NOooooooo! Not with the grid heater.
    I did it on a power joke and duramax. So what your saying is is unplug the grid heater when you do it? LOL jk

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    I did it on a power joke and duramax. So what your saying is is unplug the grid heater when you do it? LOL jk

Their grids are different on those trucks- grids are lower voltage and for emissions since they have glow plugs. Cummins has higher voltage to aid in cold starting

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes Yamahamod liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Their grids are different on those trucks- grids are lower voltage and for emissions since they have glow plugs. Cummins has higher voltage to aid in cold starting
    Wasnt really a question it was more of a joke.

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for all of the answers so looks like this is on me I tried to not replace all of the injectors an turns out I did three of them an had another go bad the injector was hung open an it was filling the cylinder up with fuel once I realized this an stopped to slow my self down so now here is where I am one more injector on order should get to that Monday when I ran a kill test on the injectors number three was unresponsive long story short I do believe this all started with bad fuel or just bad luck the truck has 57000 on it it's almost rare for an injector to go bad that soon but guess it can thank goodness for technology an the ability to run the test on these trucks like we can today an yeah them injector connecting tubes are a son of a gun to get to no **** I crushed one because I was in a hurry an put injector in 360 out so well that don't go well when u try to send it in there tubes are 106.00 a pice my cost injectors 350.00 thanks again for all the replys an help

12. Thanks DIESELWRKS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast