Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clunking when depressing clutch 2nd to 3rd

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Clunking when depressing clutch 2nd to 3rd

Got it. I wasnt aware the sig info wasnt available across all platforms and just forgot to add the perceived source of the sound. After the first reply i thought to myself yeah what is clunking would probably be helpful.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

is this sound or any sound or feeling happen if you are just pushing in the clutch with it in neutral? does it make any weird sounds or feelings if you push in clutch when the truck is turned off? Keep in mind what I'm typing here , I'm not thinking you do or do not know about your truck or how a clutch operates.
    This is one of my methods of troubleshooting.

When you press on the clutch pedal, the pressure plate and flywheel are forced apart, releasing the clutch disk, and causing the connection between the engine and transmission to be broken

“dual-mass” model. It is comprised of an inner section that bolts to the crank, and an outer section. These two sections are held together with internal springs and allow flex between the crank and the rest of the clutch assembly, Ram/Dodge used this design to dampen the harmonic vibrations that naturally occur in a diesel engine. These vibrations would normally travel through the clutch assembly and into the transmission, resulting in a “growl”noise from the transmission The growl is noticeable below 1500 RPMs, the G-56 will growl when you lug the truck around. you have 40k miles on a clutch and I don't know the history of how that stock clutch was used or treated. you will have harmonic changes with a tuner added to the truck regardless of the power level you have it on. your transmission is cast/alum and really is a big old speaker when it comes to sounds coming out of that transmission.

Have you also tried removing or running the stock tune and see if this sound still happens.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

3. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Please post video if possible.

The 4th gens with G56 sometimes have a pedal "groan" hard to explain. Video would help.

Dual mass clutches have failed by 30k-40k miles, it is possible there is something wrong. The G56 dual mass setup blows. And where you are deleted, you will now have to run an aftermarket clutch anyways.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

5. Likes Controlled_Pair253 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Theres no strange sound or feeling standing still or at medium/high speed, only shifting from 2-3 (possibly 1-2 but i still havent tried).

I’ve been doing some trial and error in accelerating/shifting and have found I can shift without the clunk by accelerating and letting the rpm’s level out for a second prior to pressing the clutch in. If I accelerate and press the clutch in as rpm’s are climbing I get the clunk. This has me thinking it has to be a little play somewhere and it’s become more apparent being deleted and the throttle response being a little more snappy.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12