Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: Replacement Headlights for Gen 4s?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Replacement Headlights for Gen 4s?

Do any of you have recommendations for replacement headlight assemblies for a ‘15 3500?

I have the projector style and am sick of the water sloshing around in them. Now, a parking lamp is out so I am going to have to pull one to replace the bulb so...

I looked at the ones sold by Amazon but they all had awful reviews. I would hate to pay the $1200 the dealer wants only have water in the new ones in short order.

Something brighter than stock would be ok too though I do not want to modify the wiring harnesses.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn CC SB SRW White Cummins Aisin with 5th wheel package
    ARE cap on order
    hunting for a chrome winch bumper
    need to add clearance lights
    Want Rigid Adapt driving lights

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Replacement Headlights for Gen 4s?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx0849 View Post
    Do any of you have recommendations for replacement headlight assemblies for a ‘15 3500?

I have the projector style and am sick of the water sloshing around in them. Now, a parking lamp is out so I am going to have to pull one to replace the bulb so...

I looked at the ones sold by Amazon but they all had awful reviews. I would hate to pay the $1200 the dealer wants only have water in the new ones in short order.

Something brighter than stock would be ok too though I do not want to modify the wiring harnesses.

Are the lights you have in it now the original OEM that came on the truck? You could check with eBay and look for a new or used one cheaper than you can get at the dealership.
    As for brightness your gonna have to upgrade your bulbs to HID or LED’s. If you just use the regular halogen bulbs they will suck in any headlight whether projector or the reflector type headlights.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

the retrofit source and the retroshop has LED replacement assemblies, they're pricey though. The retroshop also sells the OEM replica projectors made by TYC. If you search for "Ram projector condensation fix" there's a bunch of threads on how people fixed the condensation, something about readjusting these vents on the back of the lights. If you end up getting an OEM type projector again, Hylux makes Canbus HID ballasts that don't need any additional harnesses. the only thing you'll need to do is drill a hole in the dust covers to run the HID bulb wiring. from what i've seen and read, the retroshop guy is the go to guy for any Ram lighting upgrades. He can also custom build you headlights with better projectors than the factory.

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Have checked on genes garage? They carry these. I bought one for my 12

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Are the lights you have in it now the original OEM that came on the truck? You could check with eBay and look for a new or used one cheaper than you can get at the dealership.
    As for brightness your gonna have to upgrade your bulbs to HID or LED’s. If you just use the regular halogen bulbs they will suck in any headlight whether projector or the reflector type headlights.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    As far as I know they are original factory.

I have read many threads on condensation but not seen any consensus on absolutely solving the problem.

Upgrading to LEDs is something I would do after some time without further condensation.

ARE cap on order

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

As far as I know they are original factory.

I have read many threads on condensation but not seen any consensus on absolutely solving the problem.

Upgrading to LEDs is something I would do after some time without further condensation.

When I first bought my truck new I had some condensation in my headlights before I drove it off the lot but after a week it cleared up and never came back.
    I tried using LED’s for my headlights with the canBUS adapters and sometimes they both would work and other times one would not work. I went with HID’s with the canBUS adapters and never had a problem since.

12. Likes walla2k5, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    When I first bought my truck new I had some condensation in my headlights before I drove it off the lot but after a week it cleared up and never came back.
    I tried using LED’s for my headlights with the canBUS adapters and sometimes they both would work and other times one would not work. I went with HID’s with the canBUS adapters and never had a problem since.

What wiring work is involved with the HID conversions?
    The descriptions in the sales stuff just talks about “professional “ installation.

ARE cap on order

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

What wiring work is involved with the HID conversions?
    The descriptions in the sales stuff just talks about “professional “ installation.

No wiring work at all. It’s all plug and play. The only thing I had to do on my Laramie headlights was drill a 1” hole thru the dust cover and run the wiring thru it. It comes complete with a grommets etc....
    purchased my lights thru Diode Dynamics.

16. Likes Power247, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

When I purchased my 2015, I was very disappointed in the output of the projector headlights! I had done the Sport Mod on my 02 and had gotten used to decent lights! In my search for answers I had the following "professionally" installed:

1. LED kit - terrible lighting, I felt it was actually worse than the OEM halogen.

2. HID - Installed by the same shop. Great light output! No issues ever, but I was always uneasy with it, due to worrying about it failing primarily. Though I was not having issues with it, I decided to do some research, that eventually lead me to want to take a look at the install. When I pulled the headlight assembly I was shocked! The install was unbelievably crappy! I had an "extra' hole in one dust cover, sealed with duct tape! The two holes for the wires to feed thru? Drilled too big and "sealed" with some sort of adhesive, it looked like a full tube! And the heat from the HID bulbs had caused a little melting/deformity! Seriously, I had this shop do it because I didn't know much about HID systems and didn't have the time to work on it. Even with no knowledge I guarantee it would have been better than what I paid for!

Anyways, I had found out through another forum that GM had similar complaints about their projector lights. They had Vosla produce a halogen bulb, HIR2, that was significantly better, than the original bulbs they had. One of the moderators recommended that I give them a try, so I did. They are awesome! Plug right in where the 9005's were and they are brighter then I expected (65 watt). If I had this kind of performance from the beginning, I likely would not have looked at doing any mods to the headlights. I also pulled the 9006 high beam bulbs and installed the 9011 HIR's, you have to clip one of the tabs on the bulb to make it work, also a huge upgrade over the 9006's! The amount of light I get is nearly equal to the HID kit I had, it is not as "white" but it is perfectly fine. I'd highly recommend giving these bulbs a try before messing with an aftermarket kit, also, no canbus issues or filters needed!

I was able to find replacement OEM dust covers from a Texas salvage yard! All is well!

I know lots of folks have HID installed and the kits have improved a lot, but I am much more comfortable with the halogens and happy with the output of the improved bulbs.

I have yet to come across anyone that is happy with an LED kit in the projector housings, I'd avoid them unless I was replacing the factory housing.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Collin42 liked this post